How do I stop biting my nails?

I've been biting my nails since I was a very small child. I am now 35. I don't want to bite my nails but I don't know how to stop. The habit is so ingrained in me at this point. I mean, I've been doing it as long as I can remember...practically my entire life. The other day my almost four year old daughter saw me biting one of my nails and said in her sweet little voice "Mommy, I don't want you to do that anymore". I don't want to either. What should I do? I've tried putting things on my nails to deter me but I end up picking at it and eventually biting again. I just can't seem to leave my fingers alone no matter what I do! Help! I don't want to be an 80 year old sitting in a rocking chair biting my fingernails while my Grandkids say "Grandma I don't want you to do that anymore" lol

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• You could try aversion therapy....put a rubber band on your wrists and pop them when you are tempted to bite.

You could also try the bite stop - you paint it on your nails and it tastes NASTY!!!

Try having regular manicures if you can afford them, if you have someone making your nails and cuticles look nice you won't be as tempted to bite them.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 1:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• You have a deeply ingrained habit to break. It might be easier to do if you have something to replace it with. A friend of mine found it helpful to fidget with a tiny rubik's cube charm she wore around her neck specifically for that purpose. She didn't usually try to solve the puzzle, just used it as mindless thing to do with her fingers instead of nibbling at them. Maybe this could be helpful for you too. GL :-)
    ss_mom

Answer by ss_mom at 1:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• One of my friends started getting acrylics.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 1:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Put hot sauce on your nails or you can buy that nasty nail bitter's stuff to put on your nails.
    PepsiMom1224

Answer by PepsiMom1224 at 2:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My Mom put hair spray on mine when I was little but after doing it for as long as you have it might not be that easy.
    liv4myboys

Answer by liv4myboys at 5:09 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I agree with PepsiMom
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 12:43 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Well what i did was think of everything u touched that day. It made me stop. Even though i wash my hands alot and clean my nails out alot. It still worked cuz the thought made me so sick. And your nails have a nasty smell to them anyway. Even if they are clean they stink so if you do that u are sure to stop.
    RedneckSammie20

Answer by RedneckSammie20 at 9:13 PM on Aug. 22, 2011