Why do people even call it colic?

Why name something if it makes no difference? You might as well just call it "pain".

My poor baby hurts all day sometimes and there's no one thing that always works to help although I keep trying. My newest idea is to quick all dairy intake (you have no idea how many things dairy is in that you would have never thought of). For any of you that are dealing with a hurting baby, I feel for you. I'm sure you're counting down the days until 3 months old like I am. Even though I know this magic number isn't for sure!

If you want to vent or leave some advice go ahead. :]

ours

Asked by ours at 1:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son had it and it went away. We used old wives tales methods that did work on him even if temporary.

Answer by gemgem at 1:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Most of the English language is derived from other languages.

Origin:
    1400–50; late Middle English colike (< Middle French colique ) < Latin colica ( passiō ) (suffering) of the colon < Greek kolikós, equivalent to kól ( on ) colon2 + -ikos -ic

—Related forms
    col·ick·y, adjective

And are you nursing?
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My son was COLIC for 6 months.. I feel your pain. it was awful and heart wrenching
    he is also lactose intolerant so I say that's a very smart idea to cut out all dairy for a while!
    Have you tried Gripe water? I say that is worth a shot but use it as they recommend at for at least 1 to 2 week to expect to see results. my friend used them and noticed within days...i didn't use them often enough so If I could go back in time, I would have done that.. I'm sorry Mama.. I feel your pain and you can vent to me anytime you need to
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I am nursing. I have a pretty heavy let down sometimes so I try to hold her as upright as possible when nursing and keep a towel nearby just in case it seems too much for her. I also try to get 2-4 burps out of her on each side she nurses and she gets a ton of tummy time. None of this seems to help, but I keep doing it. I'm hoping the dairy at least helps.

Even though it's very hard, all she has to do is smile at me or for one of the many things I try to actually work for me to be ready to start it all over next time she's hurting. You'd think I'd feel detached or different towards my daughter, but honestly I feel closer to her than I did with my son at this age just because of how much she really needs me. My son couldn't care less if you held him or not, she needs to be held sometimes in order to forget about her tummy for a little while.

I started using Gripe water last week and I'd say it works 1 out of 4 times.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 1:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Gripe water isn't like gas drops where it often works on contact so please just keep trying that.. even when my son wasn't in a colic episode he was miserable and I would now say it WAS because of the dairy.. at least she does smile lol;!~ my son didn't .. he looked and was the unhappiest baby ever, and knowing what I do know now, I dont' blame him!! I also had bonding issues so its graet you are feeling SO close to her, that will help also - hang in there mama.!!!all you can do is keep doing the trials like you are!!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• We used to give my son mylicon , I do not even know if they still sell it. It was a baby version of pepto Bismol plus soy milk. Otherwise my son was so colic and his tummy hurt so much. This was when he was first born until he was a few months old.Gl, I know all the slepless times you have had and the worry and the anxiety that it brings while the baby is crying. It is going to get better. Please take care of yourself too....don't neglect yourself ever while this is going on...ciao bella....
    geminilove7717

Answer by geminilove7717 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I will definitely keep at the gripe water. We already need to buy another bottle, I think I'll just stock up haha. I get the Little Tummy's brand, I'm hoping there isn't a difference with ingredients with different brands? The gas drops don't seem to help in the same way that the water does. She doesn't smile a whole lot, I might get a real one a few times a week but it helps SO much. I actually had trouble bonding with her the first couple weeks before any of this really started, but once it did I started feeling closer to her.
    ours

Comment by ours (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I don't think the brands really matter, I bought highlands because 4 years ago, that was the only one they had at the pharmacy so I was happy to see there are more options for other Mommies right now.. sounds like you are on the right track, I only learned a lot of this far after his colic days, Dr's were NO help and natural instincts never came for me so it was all book reading, which basically made me feel worse
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 2:09 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Colic: A medical term meaning "we don't know what's wrong but we MUST have a medical term."

However, ours, you gave the clue to your issue. Strong letdown will cause precisely what you're seeing, and it's an easy fix.

When nursing, never place baby under the breast. It forces her to gulp and take in air. Either keep her sitting upright, or lean back and put her OVER the nipple. It's a great way to get tummy time done!

Also, block nurse. One breast only for a 3-4 hour period. Other breast only for the next block of time.

I've been right where you are and these things made a tremendous difference.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Colic: A medical term meaning "we don't know what's wrong but we MUST have a medical term." Haha i like this my DS has colic & acid reflux the dr gave him zantac & changed his formula to a hypoallergenic one

Chelhaidax

Answer by Chelhaidax at 3:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2011