How much do YOU do to keep the peace?

I've had several people in my life that I don't always agree with...to say things politely. And, at some point, to keep piece, on side or the other has to give in and keep their mouth shut basically. How far have YOU gone to keep things peaceful in your lives, and does it pay off, or does the other side expect you to constant give in more??

mlmkjw

Asked by mlmkjw at 1:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• As a person who LIVES to make others happy in spite of my own happiness, this topic comes up in my everyday life. I am learning that sometimes you cant afford to keep the peace or else you are neglecting your own morals/ethics or welfare. I struggle with speaking my mind. Sometimes however telling someone what you are thinking is very liberating. The more you give in the more it is expected of you to give in. In the end you just have to pick and choose your battles according to your mental/emotional well-being.
    tiffany0507

Answer by tiffany0507 at 1:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• After reflecting, I sure wish I did more... For families and relationships, peace in the home is paramount. Focus on the good stuff and learn to let the inconsequential go. Realize that you are a team and build each other up. Usually, our anger is taken out on the one who is closest to us and will forgive us. Better to deal calmly with the situation that casued the anger and keep peace at home. So much better for kids who model our behaviors!
    BCwclmom

Answer by BCwclmom at 1:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Good question.

It depends on whats going on. I am a very humble person, you won't ever hear me yell or get angry...but i have had disagreements with close people in my life. I have apologized at times that i didn't feel like i needed to, but i did anyway because that person felt they needed one and if all i have to do is say sorry to make the drama stop...i will. Sometimes people just disagree, you can be stubborn about it or you can let it roll off your back & go with the flow.

There have been times where we had to agree to disagree, because I'm not going to back down on something i am very firm on. But, i try to keep things from getting to that level in the first place & i am pretty good at that.

I know if someone is trying to take advantage of me & if i sense that is happening, i am quick to back off from that person. I won't put up with any of that crap. I'll nicely say "see ya later".
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 2:00 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I don't like confrontations, so I usually do what I can to keep the peace. But eventually, when I reach my breaking point, it is not cool. Fortunately it has not come to that point very often. And yes, the longer you put up with it the more they will expect for you to just take and the more they will heap upon you. Because they can. until you end it.
    chavela_carlita

Answer by chavela_carlita at 4:28 AM on Jun. 29, 2011