Do you say something when your pregnant friends smoke?

It drives me crazy but I don't say anything :-( I'm weak.

sugamama3

Asked by sugamama3 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• None of my friends smoke if they did pregnant or not I would ask them to not do it next to me. I feel bad for babies born to moms who can't be bothered to take care of themselves for 9 months so the baby is given the best shot possible. My stepsister is 21 and was trying for her 3rd baby. She found out last week she is pregnant but suspected before that. She didn't say anything so she could party for her 21st birthday. She was out drinking, smoking and acting like a fool knowing she was pregnant. She did this with her first two both were very tiny at birth and both have major delays. Both kids have asthma and have multiple attacks because their mom can't be bothered to quit smoking around her kids. I hear how she is a kid but in my mind the minute she made the choice to purposely get pregnant at 15 she gave up all rights to use the she is just a kid card.

Anonymous

• You can say you care, but beyond that, they aren't going to listen anyway. That's honest.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 1:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Nope, not my problem.. sad to watch and I hated seeing it but I have to just know its not what I Would do and leave it at that
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I might bring it up but if they are still smoking then they most likely don't care....I'm sure they already know the risks, so it just doesn't matter to them.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 1:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Some people have a lot of trouble quitting. I know I've tried to quit a billion times. And non smokers DO NOT get it. Its NOT okay to smoke while pregnant. Everyone knows that, but as long as they try, and cut back as much as possible, at least theyre making an effort. And, the more I get lectured about smoking, the more I wants a cig. (p.s. i'm not pregnant)
    mlmkjw

Answer by mlmkjw at 1:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• nope- i mind my business. its their kid, their medical bills.
    gwen20

Answer by gwen20 at 1:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• i have teased them before about it, but this is with my real close friends. I would not tease someone i did not know very well, i probably wouldn't say anything to someone i am not familiar with.

I would say things like "I can hear your baby coughing in there"...it made them feel guilty, but in a way that didn't make them feel like they're getting reprimanded. They're still adults & we can't tell them what to do with their body, but we can voice our opinion in a way that's not too insulting towards the mother to be.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 1:53 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I smoked when I was pregnant with my last child.. I know I shouldn't have and I wish I didn't..

I think smoking is an adult's decision. It may not be healthy for the child, but why would you even waste your breath mentioning it? Nobody who is an addicted smoker would even care what you have to say.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Nope, I'm not her conscience nor her mother.

hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I would say something. I have a loud mouth and when something like that upsets me like, yeah i would blurt it out. I wouldn't be able to help it. especially if it was a good friend i felt comfortable with.
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 2:00 PM on Jun. 27, 2011