At what age did your child stop taking naps??

I have a 9 year old, a 6 year old, and a 22 month old. My baby has REALLY started fighting his nap, and sometimes he wont take on at all. My 6 year old didnt start skipping naps til right before kindergarden. My 9 year old was the same. But, BOTH of them will still take a nap if I send them for one. I think my youngest is just being stubborn...LOL

mlmkjw

Asked by mlmkjw at 1:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well, my 18 year old naps from time to time....
    bcauseimthemom

Answer by bcauseimthemom at 2:00 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Both of my kids were about 2 1/2 when they started to give up their naps. I found it increasingly difficult to get them to sleep at night if they napped during the day.

We did, however, require "quite time" in place of naps. Just some time to settle down with a quiet activity - maybe reading or cuddling up together to watch a favorite cartoon for a 1/2 hr. Just something to settle and be still.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:01 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I read that many children eliminate the afternoon nap at age 3. Some children it goes to age 5.

Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 1:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My daughter is 5 and still takes a 2-3 hour nap everyday. Somehow we have to break her of that habbit before she starts kinder in aug lol.
    RhiaSanchez

Answer by RhiaSanchez at 1:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My 5 year old DS still takes (and needs) a 1 1/2 to 2 hour nap every day, my 3 year old DD has started skipping her nap half the time and she sleeps better at night.
    JanieJo

Answer by JanieJo at 1:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I had one that went til 5 and could still nap, but mostly around 2 1/2 or 3 it was over.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 1:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• All 3 of mine stopped between the ages of 2 and 3.
    clumm

Answer by clumm at 7:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My older 2 stopped napping the summer before they started kindergarten (they were almost 5 and 5 1/2) but the year we started homeschooling (when they were 8 and 6 1/2) they started taking naps again and their younger brothers napped until they were 6 and 7 and their brothers were 10 and 11. They didn't have to sleep but they (all 4) did have to have a 1 hour rest period every day.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:59 AM on Jun. 30, 2011