To the moms who have teenagers;; are you dreading the day they'll leave home and go out on their own?

teen boyto the moms who have kids who have already left home; how did you cope ?

gwen20

Asked by gwen20 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• Hasn't left yet, yes I'm dreading it!
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 1:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I dread it, I will forever more be changed and missing them! Me and DH both speak of what will we do when all 4 are grown and gone... We have two teens and 2 LOs so we have awhile before they will all be gone, but even when oldest leaves- I dread it terribly.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 1:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• All but one already left home for me, but my relationship with all of them is so unified and tight, that it does not matter, I know it is their turn to live out their lives but they all have included me in it.

Answer by older at 1:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• It is a yes/no answer to me. I have 2 kids in college (both locally) & 1 in HS. I do dread them leaving because it means to me that my job is done. I am not needed anymore. I miss my babies so much, but I do know I have to move on. But on the other hand I am looking forward to have me time. Doing what I want to do. Maybe having my own private room that no one can enter. Living my life again. One day I am gonna have grandchildren & I look forward to that day, but before that happens I want to discover me again. So, yes I dread the day they are all gone, but no because I can re-discover who I am again.
    PepsiMom1224

Answer by PepsiMom1224 at 1:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• It's a mixed feeling. Fortunately, my kids have attended summer camp, so that we goy used to having time without kids for 7 weeks of the summer. One has graduated college and has returned home to save $$$. It's just as hard an adjustment having them move back home. The good news is that if we did our jobs well and nature complies, then they become strong and independent. Bottom line, they are always our children and will need us in some way shpe or form. Just as we need them. Nice to finally see who you will become once you don't need to be as hands on.
    BCwclmom

Answer by BCwclmom at 1:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• No. I can't wait for her to move out. She NEEDS to move out. Develop her own friends & interests outside of our household. She is stuck in a bubble and needs to move on.
    Niffy423

Answer by Niffy423 at 3:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• You learn to cope and enjoy your life. They are gone and having fun while you worry. Go on vacation
    laticiafg

Answer by laticiafg at 4:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Not dreading it. They will always return to visit. But I have raised my children to successfully leave the house and live responsibly on their own. I have one that has married and moved and another in the process of finding a job to move.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• All 3 of my kids are grown up and gone. It was a tough adjustment at first, I really missed them, I missed the noise and the chaos. My youngest who is 30 has been gone for 7 years now and I love that it is just my husband and I. We love having our grandchildren visit but a week is about all I can stand,
    meandmyshadow

Answer by meandmyshadow at 7:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My oldest will be leaving for university at the end of the summer.  It's bittersweet!  On the one hand I'm going to miss her like crazy and I will worry but on the other hand............. WOOHOO!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 11:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2011