Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it right to keep kids from their father if the parents are not together?

There are no questions of abuse regarding us, but the bio-mom keeps the kids from us anyway.


Asked by Anonymous at 2:50 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in General Parenting

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • ABSOLUTLY NOT... especially if its for no good reason other than spite. she is only hurting the child. i would definitely take legal action

    Answer by Mama2Caidyn at 5:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

  • No, she has no right. If he is being the father he is supposed to be I would petition the court for visitation rights and when and if they are granted she can be found in contempt for not letting him see his kids.


    Answer by Christine0813 at 2:53 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

  • It depends on the situation. My daughter's father hasn't seen her since she was a year old. He's a dead beat and hasn't had any contact with her. He finally got remarried and think that makes him a grown up and wants me to send her across the country to see him. Not happening. She's the child and I don't see a reason to send her to complete strangers and out of her comfort zone where she has no one. If he wants to come visit her, that's fine. I might even allow her to travel to visit him but not before they have some sort of relationship.
    Every situation is different, and the judge agreed with me and ruled in my favor.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

  • If the only reason is that they are not together then no. But, like the PP, I would not send my children more than a few hours from me with a stranger. If they had a relationship I would think about it. You should go to court and get a visitation order.

    Answer by matthewscandi at 3:47 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

  • The children are going to resent her for not allowing them to see their father when they get older and the truth of the matter comes out.

    Answer by micrespo at 4:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

  • Maybe she doesn't like you and has no feelings for children.

    Maybe she doesn't want you around her children maybe she don't want you to pretend to be a mother to her children I know that's selfish but sometimes that is how mothers get even with their ex husbands I am not judging you just the situation at hand.

    I would tell him to take her to court and get visitation but I'm sure she will stipulate she doesn't know you and won't allow you to see her children does he pay child support if he does and Y
    Couldn't he see his kids

    Answer by LexsiesMommy at 5:29 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

  • depends, but it will only be more hurtful or confusing as she gets older, if she is in danger, Do EVERYTHING you can to keep her safe, but kids need their Daddy's too! Especially little girls!

    Answer by jennieo622 at 6:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

  • There is no reason, yes we pay child support. When we saw them for the 1st time in 6 months (last month ago...long story but we drove all the way for an hour) they immediately knew who we were. She lived with us for awhile and has no reason that she will give to anyone, not even her family who is encouraging her to let us see them. I don't know what to do..... Thank you to everyone who has answered already. We have court in one month to address this issue but she seems to think that she is doing nothing wrong. She will have no contact with us and we can't talk to the kids either....

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:48 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

  • No it is not right to keep the child(ren) from the other parent, unless there is significant reason for it. In some cases it could be to hide abuse, or it could be because they are using the child(ren) as a pawn over the other parent.
    In our case, the child(ren) was kept from the non-custodial parent, because of their threat to take the child(ren), not return them when agreed, and go on the run with them. This is well documented through the courts. Because of this, the NCP can no longer see or call the child(ren).

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

  • I hope you are filing for FULL CUSTODY of the child(ren) in court. Then be the more adult, responsible parents and stick to visitation with the mom. I hate bitchy women who think they are punishing the dad but in reality they are punishing their children. They are just childish. My husband took his ex back to court and was granted full custody of his daughter. The ex doesn't have to be a drunk or drug addict for a judge to change custody. We called every witness we could think of and her witnesses worked against her rather than for her so it's worth the effort. For goodness sake, it's your child. We have always stuck to the visitation with her but don't have to put up with as much of her crap now.

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Dec. 15, 2008