How doyou disipline child with aspergers autisim?

i have a 9 year old boy that is aspgers,and he always hits his brothers and sister,when we try to disipline him,he seems to get worse with his behavior.any sugestions?

annamilford

Asked by annamilford at 1:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Hi! This is a hard question to answer... every child is different. PM me and I'd love to help... :-)
    Amy
    JoyIsAnAttitude

Answer by JoyIsAnAttitude at 2:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My son is 11 and has Aspergers. He goes through phases of being defiant. I have found that the best disciplinary strategy is to be extremely calm and cool AND extremely consistent. In your example, I would find a quiet time to sit him down and calmly explain to him why you need him to stop hitting his siblings. I would also tell him, that it is your job to teach him how to behave, so from now on every time he hits one of his siblings, he will go to his room for 30 minutes. Let him know that there will be no exceptions. The next time he hits one of his siblings, calmly tell him that he needs to go to his room for 30 minutes and remind him of the conversation you had with him before. If he protests, ask his siblings to leave the room, continue to speak calmly (not pleading! - firm, but calm) and continue to insist that he goes to his room. When I do this every time, without fail, my son's behavior eventually changes.
    Dharrahy

Answer by Dharrahy at 5:52 PM on Jun. 29, 2011