Need some help with some toddler issues

i am having a hard time learning how to discipline my two year old!! nothing seems to work... someone please help!!

mykidsloveme08

Asked by mykidsloveme08 at 1:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• time out worked well when my son was that age...put him in the corner then when his time is up explain to him what he did wrong. hope this helps!
    YerMami24

Answer by YerMami24 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• well some children take to time outs. i take away the priveleges. like if she is throwing something or not listen. i take away her toys. its hard and you just have to figure out what works. gl
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 1:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Whatever you try, give it a while before you start another method. I found that my son didn't really get the time-out thing at first. But after about a week he figured out that time-out meant he was in trouble.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• my twins are almost 22 months. what works for US is time out. we've been doing time out for about 6 months and it's worked very well
    I give them one warning "do not hit, or you will go to time out this is your warning" and if they hit again I take them to our time out corner without saying anything, then i squat down to their eye level and say "you are in timeout for one minute because you hit "so and so" and hitting is not allowed" and i walk away. they sometimes run from the corner but i just put them back without saying anything. that seriously goes on for like 10 minutes or longer on a bad day (usually when theyre tired and cranky) then after one minute i go back and get back a ttheir level andsay you were in time out because you hit "so and so" and that is not allowed if you hit again you willl come back to time out. now you ened to saysorry so they say srry to whoever it was and then we say i love you and hug and kiss
    ElsaSalsaaa

Answer by ElsaSalsaaa at 1:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• excuse the typos i have a toddler in my lap llol
    (the method i use is the super nanny method btw)
    ElsaSalsaaa

• This age is so hard to discipline because they just learned No and it is soooo hard to communicate.

I usually emphasize your "tone" with everything since children are so good at reading emotions and not so good at understand what we are telling them. When we freak out they take advantage of it, when we yell they become defensive. Those are natural reactions for adults too!!!

So, when you need something done from your toddler, say or show them what you require with confidence and never back down, but your tone must be calm, collected and like your words mean "the law".

Time out is great if you designate an area to just time out and place a book about manners in it. Like a playpen that is for timeouts only, put him in there and just calmly say," you are in here because...etc..etc...". You can come out after you have had time to reflect on your actions. Respond with positive reinforcement with he corrects his mistake.
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 1:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• YEAH IT SEEMS LIKE THE TIME OUT THING DID NOT WORK FOR HIM... AND NOW I HAVE A TWO MONTH OLD SO IT IS SOOOO MUCH HARDER!!! I GUESS I JUST NEED TO DO ONE THING THEN STICK TO THAT ONE THING!!! THANKS FOR EVERYONES ANSWERS I AM NEW TO THIS SO I HOPE I AM GOING ABOUT IT THE CORRECT WAY....
    mykidsloveme08

Comment by mykidsloveme08 (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My son is going to be 2 in two months. He used to stand in the corner for his time out. About a month ago that stopped being affective. He throws these horrible tantrums.....lasting up to 2.5 hours at the worst. They are all over control and he becomes very irrate. Last week my husband and I watched an old episode of Super Nanny and the boy wasn't "mature" enough for her time out procedure of the naughty bench. This boy was taken to his room to "cool off" and calm down. He could come out when calm. Then do the appology procedure and discuss shortly what he was doing is wrong and unacceptable. This is what we started last week. And has had more proress than the time outs. We simply sit him on his floor in the middle of his room. Not in his bed, on the floor tll him the FIRST time he can come out when he is calm and done screaming. If he comes out still tantruming we carry him back him and sit him there.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:09 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• give him time out take away fravorite
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• put the child in a timeout chair for 2 mins
    taratennant60

Answer by taratennant60 at 6:48 AM on Jun. 28, 2011