Road tripping

We are headed out on 8 July for a trip to Florida. It'll be two full days driving. Any advice on packing for lunches? I imagine we'll eat breakfast and lunch on the road (rest stops) but probably dinner after we find a hotel.

So what's the best on-the-go healthy snacks/meals?

Mom_to_Skyler

Asked by Mom_to_Skyler at 1:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Travel

• we always pack for sandwiches, fruits/water/drinks in a cooler...we're leaving the 8th, too..headed to florida..where are you guys going?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 2:01 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Headed to Captiva Island. We're in NE Texas. We plan on heading out around 0300 each morning and driving until 6:00pm or so. Then find a hotel. And BTW - my kids are (almost five) and 21 months. Not the greatest age to be stuck in car seats for a long time.
    Mom_to_Skyler

Comment by Mom_to_Skyler (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• OOH COOL! we're headed to Seagrove Beach/30-A..and our's is 6yo. hoping the new vehicle's entertainment center will keep him entertained. we don't have as long a drive as you, though. we're only about 10hrs from our destination.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• fruit, nuts and lots and lots of water.
    Have fun!!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 3:53 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• When I was small my mom would always fry chicken for us to eat for lunch the first day on a road trip.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• PB & J
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 10:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Healthy Road Trip Snacks and Meals

Get little boxes of cereal and applesauce for breakfast.

Take lots of pictures.  =]

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 12:16 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I have a huge sterilite box with bread, tuna (canned), bread, peanut butter, honey, jam, trail mix, cereal bars, bowls, plates, plastic ware. And I pack a cooler with whatever veggies and cheeses are left in the fridge. We eat a lot of sandwiches for breakfast and lunch. Dinner is almost always out, but sometimes we reverse it and eat lunch in a restaurant and dinner is a sandwich or bowl of cereal. We are about to hit the road on the home leg of our trip. It's been nice not eating sandwiches for a week.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:11 AM on Jun. 29, 2011