Why doesn't rotten milk stink anymore???

I found a full cup of milk behind the couch the other day and it did not smell. It was kind of solid, like jello. Growing up I remember left out milk smelling horrible fast.
Does this have to do with hormones? It seems like this would be really bad on the digestive system. Should I be switching to organic??

nonni2

Asked by nonni2 at 2:00 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Health

• I would recommend the organic. No growth hormones and no preservatives. And it lasts longer. Take a look in the cooler at the grocery store and check out the dates, you'd be amazed. I think what is expiring is the preservatives in the milk, not the milk itself.
    attap5

Answer by attap5 at 2:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I don't know if it has to do with hormones or if it has to do with the length of time and temperature of where the milk was left out.
    Holland04

Answer by Holland04 at 2:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Our old milk still stinks.
    When it sits in a cup like that for a long period of time, a skin grows over it that reduces evaporation, the evaporation is what smells. Mix it up with a spoon and take a whif.
    Milk smells more when it goes bad but isn't becoming a solid yet.
    Anonymous

• Probably because it's ultra pausterized, aka fake milk.
    H.I.S.

Answer by H.I.S. at 10:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2011