Im blonde with blue eyes and my husband is dirty blonde/light brown with blue eyes but his beard had alot of dark red in it. Do you think my baby will have red hair?

april666

Asked by april666 at 2:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Look back at your parents, their parents, their parents, etc. If anyone in your family history had red hair, and you say your husband has red in his beard - then, yes there is a light chance.

Gotta love the genetic crap shoot!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• No. I think dirty blonde. But no one can possibly know these things.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• It can happen! My SIL is blond with big blue eyes and her hubs has brown hair and brown eyes, my hubs has red facial hair, Brooklynn (SIL's DD) is a red head with brown eyes!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• probably dirty blonde
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 2:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• This might be helpful: http://www.parents.com/pregnancy/getting-pregnant/genetics/genetics-and-your-baby/?page=5

Answer by gdiamante at 2:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Statistically speaking, the gene is present, so the possibility is there; especially if the child is a female!
    turtldov

Answer by turtldov at 2:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Blonde is dominant over red..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Me and my husband are the same way, all of our children have strawberry blonde hair. You can see the red highlights from his side of the family (irish decent).
    BeachyBabe

Answer by BeachyBabe at 2:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Doesn't matter what is dominate IF they both carry the recessive Red Gene. Here goes - I have 4 children - one twin was born with black hair, lightened to sandy blond, now is dark blond; one twin was born with and still has Burnt Orange RED hair; (Both BOYS) one daughter born with and still has dark blond/light brown hair. Youngest son is the same - dark blond/light brown hair.

Now for hubby and I - I have blond hair and he was tow headed at birth and now had BLACK hair. So, again the GENETIC CRAP SHOOT as BLACK and BROWN are dominate over BLOND which is why TRUE blond is hard to find.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• You need to look at both of your genetic pools. You can't just look at the 2 of you alone. Does anyone in his family have red hair? Does anyone in your family? If yes then it is possible. My daughter's hair is blonde and neither of us have blonde hair....his is light brown and I have dark auburn hair, but our daughter is blonde, which is realistic since both of his parents are blonde.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 2:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2011