What is more of a civil rights violation

Being stopped from getting your OBC or Being stopped from getting married if you are Gay

Why?

SandalsKitty

Asked by SandalsKitty at 2:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Adoption

• I have said before that the hunt for OBC is something I support but don't find as a pressing issue in my life.I think it is just about a moot point for my child's generation and ongoing generations. The information is already there is 99% of the cases so the paper is just an expired document. Maybe a sentimental purpose but not as much civil rights. (for current generations that is)

I can tell you 10 things a couple who are not married are stopped from doing and how gay marriage would remedy those issues so I know that argument. What are some examples of what you can't do without an OBC?
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 9:09 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Original Birth Certificate. When an adoption is finalized a new Amended Birth Certificate is issues stating the the adopting couple are the child's parents. Unlike non adopted people, adoptees are prohibited by law from accessing their OBC in all but 6 of the 50 United States.

Honestly I can't say which I feel is more of a civil rights violation.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Gay marriage: it is more clear cut where the violations occur.. Good question
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 8:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Both. A violation of a right is a violation period. Not fun to be on the end of any denile of a basic human right. To know who we are and the right to love who we want to love is a human condition.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• OP how is OBCs a civil rights issue? I honesty don't know. I am an adoptee and have never had an issue with my OBC, I have always used my BC issued after my adoption.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 12:17 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Oh and gay marriage she be legal in 50 states...in my humble opinion. I think is unconstitutional to deny them.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 5:47 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I am trying to get behind this so please have patience with me: is it the information that you are fighting for or the actual expired/cancelled document? You have you bparents names now, (correct?). So are you still fighting for getting that cancelled document.

I have all the info on my Childs OBC and then some. So my Childs rights are not violated...or do you feel they are?

I can see if you are from a closed adoption era wanting the information, there is such a small number if closed adoptions occurring today so don't you think the issue is already being solved organically?

I really want to understand, I am not trying to be confrontational.

2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 1:05 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• OTT: there are lots of people who don't vote but that doesn't mean that I would fight for the right for everyone to vote. I get that just because my child may not care, it isn't important for those who do care. I do think it is a no-brainer for those who don't have the information. I separate the information from the actual physical piece of paper it is written on and it doesn't seem like everyone does. That is where I get lost.

2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 2:13 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• * wouldn't fight for
    (typo)
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 2:14 PM on Jun. 29, 2011

• OBC?
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 2:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2011