How do I get my new born to sleep without being held or laying on my chest?

My daughter Gabriella is almost 2 weeks old. The first few days she slept good at night and would sleep alone, but the last few nights she will only sleep if she is being held and on my chest. I don't mind holding her so she can sleep because she ends up sleeping all night but I would really like to sleep in bed next to my boyfriend again.

soon2bmom2010

Asked by soon2bmom2010 at 2:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That's why I co-slept. It's just easier than fighting it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Have you tried swaddling her?

If that doesn't work, I would co sleep. In fact, my DD2 does not like to sleep alone, and has cried when laid down alone from the beginning. She is now 27 days old and we are co sleeping. Partially because she won't sleep alone, and partially because it's easy with nursing.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• hmm WOuld like to know this to
    jess410

Answer by jess410 at 2:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• We used to take our DD riding in the car; she always fell asleep there!

turtldov

Answer by turtldov at 2:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• try swaddling her my DS is doing the same thing..& i wrap him tight & he sleeps til his bottle time or just let her cry herself to sleep
    Chelhaidax

Answer by Chelhaidax at 2:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• i tried swaddling her but sometimes it dont work. she will sleep fine on the bed if im not holding her tho
    soon2bmom2010

Comment by soon2bmom2010 (original poster) at 2:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I coslept with both my children, and that seemed to help them both, you can buy bed attachments for cosleeping as well if you feel safer with them. Or try to wait until after she's sleeping to lay her down.. I mean zonked out too, lol.. rock her, let her sleep in your arms for a good 15 minutes to be sure she is out out, then lay her down.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I would say that after you know that they've been comforted by feeding and changing then they should be ok to left alone and you don't need to hold them until they fall asleep.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 3:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I kept putting mine down when they were calm and sleepy - the more they aren't laying up next to you, the more they get used to it.

Answer by missanc at 3:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• DS is 5 months and still sleeps on my chest. I tried to give him tough love and teach him to go down drowsy, but he his not having it. lol
    MOMof3_28

Answer by MOMof3_28 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2011