Why do pregnant women smoke whats your opinion

kellylong78

Asked by kellylong78 at 2:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• They were smokers before they were pregnant, and as anyone who has ever smoked knows, it ain't easy (for some impossible) to quit, even for that 9 mos.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 2:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• they are addicted before hand and possibly they don't think it is as bad on the baby as its made out to be. ??? I didn't smoke w/ mine.

2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 2:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Because their selfish and don't give a shit about their unborn child.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I feel the exact same as I do when I see a car with the windows rolled up and kids in the back seat when mom is smoking. selfish jerks! I quit once I learned I was expecting and I did it because of my soon to be child!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I am a smoker and it is hard to quit but I'll tell you that once I learned I was pregnant, quiting was the easiest thing I've ever done. Some try to quit but find it way to hard. Some women dont feel that they should have to quit. I dont think that it makes them selfish. Everyone has different ideas of how to parent and they are allowed to. It doesnt make it wrong or right. I know a lot of women who smoked during pregnancy and the baby turned out just fine and was born full term. But like I said everyone thinks differently and just because some one does some thing we dont approve of or believe in doesnt mean they are a bad person.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 3:00 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• SMG1120... it's NOT hard- that's a bunch of crap. If they really cared about that un-born baby, they'd quit but they don't and that's selfish.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 3:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• YOu know I want to say - because they are selfish, but that may not be the case. We could just as easily ask why does a pregnant lady down 4 cokes a day. Caffeine is awful too, esp in extreme amounts.. and it has been a struggle for me to cut out caffeine.. so I can only imagine how much of a sturggle it would be for someone with a nicotine addiction. Still its not right, and very dangerous.. but I also would not want to be so quick to judge.
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 3:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I refuse to be judgemental on a woman, and mommaB30 your right caffeine can be awful to. I dont smoke and dont drink caffeine either, but I stop sodas and caffeine about 5 months ago and it was hard on me, I just pray for all babies born ,to be healthy and safe
    kellylong78

Comment by kellylong78 (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• For anyone who is a smoker or was a smoker, you know how difficult it can be to quit.. it's EXTREMELY difficult... it's also not safe to quit cold turkey if you are pregnant, it can cause a LOT more complications or even miscarriage over weening yourself down. I did quit with both pregnancies.. both were unplanned, however not unwelcome. however through the advisement of not only my doctors.. I knew I had to ween myself down.. I cut back to 2 a day for about a week, then one a day for a week, THEN quit quit until after the pregnancies.

and no, it's not because they don't give a shit about their kids.. it may be selfish to continue, however it doesn't mean they don't give a shit. There are a lot of things women do, that isn't advised during pregnancy.. like eating certain foods, or caffeine, yet A LOT of women refuse to give up their cups of coffee in the morning.. how is that any different Ihartu?They are both unhealthy
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Plain selfish.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 3:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2011