Would you like to know while your pregnant if your child would be autistic

kellylong78

Asked by kellylong78 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Yeah that would be nice so I could get a head start on reading up on information about it. I would accept my child with any issues they may have but knowing before they are there is helpful to give you a headstart in figuring some things out ya know.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I totally agree with Mel! I want to know what to expect so I can get as much information as I can about what to expect when the baby is born and as they grow
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Doesn't matter if you did unless you planned on aborting. All the information in the world couldn't of prepared me for the road that laid ahead or still lies ahead of us. Everyday is different and every child and situation is different and honestly there are so many theories out there and ways to "deal" with an autistic kid that its mind boggling. I just wish they could find the reason why its happening.
    myownhappiness

Answer by myownhappiness at 2:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I also have a son thats autistic , hes nine and your right the road isnt easy, however by knowledge I have gained understanding, like how it feels when someone touches him, a touch to my son feels 20 degrees hotter so he will tell people they are burning him with their hand. he used to have a meltdown, but threw lots of thearpy and socalizing my son is now going into the 4th grade regular classes. I have never told him that he has a disabliity because I dont believe he does, he just has a different set of abilitys, I have many times taken him out of his comfort zone, only to remind him that noone lives 100 percent in a comfort zone, He doesnt realize hes any different because to me hes not. I wont lie and say it was easy getting to this point, it was unbearable at times, But I do try and stay positive, I never allowed the school to treat him different , I fought to keep him around other children, because it helped him and them
    kellylong78

Comment by kellylong78 (original poster) at 3:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• no.. I didn't want to know about down syndrome either.. In my opinion either way the baby was going to come, and I would love him or her regardless.. so I didn't want to know and distance myself from my child over something I couldn't control. I felt if I knew before hand it might change my feelings of the child before I first got to hold them in my arms, you know that first true bonding a mother and child have outside of the womb that seals that ultimate love and affection for your child.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 3:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Yes, I wish I had known so I could have been more prepared. My oldest is 13 and has autism. He wasn't diagnosed until he was almost 3 - I would like to have known sooner so I could have started earlier with therapy!

Answer by missanc at 3:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I woulld because i could become more educated in autisium. My son was tested at his preschool tests. And was just told he has a "attention" problem and his motor skills are behind about 5-6months.
    I feel like i could have helped him if i would have known. But the answer yes just so i could be more prepared.
    msmamakatie

Answer by msmamakatie at 4:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• yes and no, yes bc i would like to find out as much as i could but no bc i believe we are never given a gift we can not handle :)
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 4:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Yes for sure
    Helen2004

Answer by Helen2004 at 5:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2011