Risperidone??

My 5 year old son who was diagonsed with aspergers today has been prescribed Risperidone to help with moond swing, stuttering, along with a few other issues... When I went to research it, it seems a little scary... I would like to hear from other mothers who have their children on this medication. Do you like it? Does it help? Are there any bad side effects that I should know about?? Thank you.

SWEETPEAS3MOM

Asked by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 3:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Kids' Health

• i have a 14 year old son who was diagnosed at the tender age of 4.i was able to keep him off any type of medications until he turned 12 and his melt-downs were more than he and i could bare.the doc prescribed him risperidone and in about 2 weeks there was a huge weight gain.i knew there would be some weight gain but not at the speed he was gaining.he gained 56 pounds in 1 year!it was all do to the medication.unfortunately,his melt-downs went from bad to worse!it caused him major sleeplessness and eventually he became a full time insomniac.he was never depressed until he started to take this medication.i tried talking to the doc but he swore by it and like a fool i listened.after watching my son suffer for a year i took him off myself(i did it gradually)he now takes a small dose of xanax and functions great.heĀ gets a melt-down once in a blue moon but other than that he's doing great.everyone reacts different.good luck.
    elzingah36

Answer by elzingah36 at 5:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• ALL medications have side affects, you have to decide what is worse, the symptoms or the side affects that may go away as the body gets used to the meds.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My friend was diagnosed as Bipolar. The doc prescribed her this medication. At first she became a little more withdrawn which was nothing completely out of the ordinary, then she became a recluse and when I saw her (rarely) she wasn't really "there"... it made her into a shadow of her former self. Considering it was a mental illness and not autism I would not say the situations are comparable, just wanted to share my friend's experience.
    kazmia

Answer by kazmia at 1:32 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• We were told our son might have aspergers & were referred to a specialist. The specialist wanted to put him on risperdone. I insisted on allergy testing for gluten. What we found was that he is highly sensitive to: wheat, milk, soy, eggs, (the American diet). We removed these foods. Started him on an iron supplement for his RLS. He takes Sea Buddies Concentrate (no more stuttering) He is almost to grade level now. He still struggles with reading, but doing great in other subjects.

Ask for a food panel RAST test for IgG antibodies. It's done by blood draw.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:43 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• i would ask for another med i knew some one who took this med as a teen to treat depression and she was only 13 and she was not sexually active at all and she started develping milk also there been cases where boys have grown brest too my step son is on it for adhd and hes got whight gain i told his mom the med is not good she wont listen i wouldnt let my child go on it messes with the hormones bad
    mad_ct_mom

Answer by mad_ct_mom at 12:26 AM on Jul. 4, 2011