HOW DO I GET RID OF A URINARY TRACT INFECTION FOR GOOD?

vintagechicken

Asked by vintagechicken at 3:16 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Health

• Antibiotics.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 3:18 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• start taking cranberry capsules.
    the antbiotics didnt work for me.
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 3:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• For good? As in never come back again?

After it is gone there are a few things you can do to help ensure it doesn't come back.

Cranberry capsules once a day, as mentioned above, is one way.
    Make sure you urinate after every time you have sex, even if you don't feel like you have to.
    Don't "hold it", even if it is just 5 or 10 minutes. Go when you get the first urge to go.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 3:43 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I finally had to go to a urologist. The infections kept getting worse and worse. I am now taking an antibiotic twice a week, and I haven't had a problem since.
    In general, use the bathroom within 15 minutes of finishing sex. Go at least every 3 hours. Drink lots of fluids. I have the cranberry pills and drink cranberry juice every day, but I still got infections. So mainly get checked by a urologist. I resisted the idea for a long time until the symptoms got severe and I was having to go to the ER in the middle of the night since the pain was unbearable.
    Good luck!

Answer by Bmat at 3:55 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• i used to get a UTI every month. i've had kidney infections too. no fun!

to get rid of the symptoms, i would take Uristat. i used to carry it in my purse, it was my lifesaver. the only way to get rid of the infection is to take antibiotics. Levaquin works best, but Cipro is my second choice. Macrobid never worked for me. if you do not treat the infection, it can travel to your kidneys!

see if your PCP will call in a script to your pharmacy for you. but i would strongly recommend scheduling an appt with a urologist if you get frequent UTIs. i did and found out the cause of my chronic UTIs. i now rarely get them.
    rachelsmommy78

Answer by rachelsmommy78 at 4:39 PM on Dec. 14, 2008