Only children: Do you ever wish you had siblings?

I do. My husband is the youngest of 8 and although he isn't close to any of them nowadays, I envy his many ties in the world and family to be concerned or just plain nosey about, and they in return.

Any of you feel the same?

Womamhood

Asked by Womamhood at 3:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• Yeah, I always did,and wondered what it would be like. I have 2 cousins very close in age to me, who I grew up with,but they would go home,and I'd be alone again. DH is next to oldest in a family of 4, so I did gain 2 SIL when we got married,which was really cool. I also knew I wanted more than 1 child, because I'd never put a child through what I went through as an only child.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 3:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• For many years I begged my dad for more siblings. Whether it was to remarry and give me more siblings, or to foster/adopt. HE has no recollection of the years of begging, but I do.

Being an only child was one of the MOST lonely things I've had to do, growing up.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 4:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I'm not an only child, but my mother is and she always envied larger families - she had 5 of us!

Answer by missanc at 3:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Although i have 1 half-sister, i feel as though i am an only child, because my sister is not around. She is living across town strung out on drugs and in her own little world. We rarely see her or hear from her, and she don't see her own child who is 10 yrs. old. It's like i have no sister, i feel like and only child.
    Honda309

Answer by Honda309 at 3:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I'm not but my 14 year old daughter is and she begs me not to have more kids.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 3:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• As an adult, yes I do. I thoroughly enjoyed my only childness as a teenager but once I realized that my kids will never have any close cousins (my husband has 2 nieces that live 8 hours away) and that I won't have the close knit family that I grew up with it kind of depresses me.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I go back and forth, but it doesn't matter now, I;m all grown up, that' ship has sailed.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 3:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My mom's an only child; she says she feels like she missed out on a lot. But OTOH, she got lots of attention, etc.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:02 PM on Jun. 28, 2011