She wants to buy a truck after tons of repairs to current vehicle

she's 19. works full-time. she was given a car at age 16 to drive. recently she spent $600 on repairs. today we spent $700 on additional repairs. when husband called her to come get her car, she was at another car lot, looking for a truck to buy.

I realize she has spent some of her money but if she truly wanted a different vehicle, why didnt' she say something sooner... before both she and us poured a bunch of money into her current vehicle?

Am I unreasonable to be upset?

Niffy423

Asked by Niffy423 at 3:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Adult Children (18+)

• I'd be pretty mad.. Why would she let you repair her old car if she wanted another one? Sounds pretty shitty.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I wouldn't be angry. She has to have the car to make it to work and stuff. She spent some of her own money to make it work. Also if the car isn't running then you aren't going to get much money for it.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 4:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Why, unless you have signed the title over to her, it is your vehicle and maintaining a vehicle properly can be expensive. Far better to keep it up if you choose to trade it in or sell it.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• There is nothing wrong in looking vs. actually signing on the dotted line. Clearly there is a lack of communication on her part with you two of you.

If you have title on the car you can sell it and probably get your money back on the repairs made. GL
    musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• WHAT! That is how we determine when it is time to buy a new car - when the upkeep gets to be too much. She is making a logical decision and may only be in the research phase anyway. Talk to her.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• You are not being unreasonable to be upset!. I'd question her thinking too. Then again, she is 19 and at that age they sometimes make knee-jerk decisions. How do I know? I used to make them lol
    mamamia578

Answer by mamamia578 at 7:58 AM on Jun. 29, 2011

• No, I don't think so.... she should have said something before you put the money in to fix it....
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 8:02 PM on Jul. 2, 2011