Credit card company hands files over to a collection agency....you ignore the collections agency.....what happens next?

I know this is not good, at all!! But the collection agency people have been calling me for like 4 months now, literally 2-3 times a day, I have talked to them a couple times, but thats it. The last message the left me said they were gonna take further actions. what does that mean? I completely know I have already majorly screwed up, but now what?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• They can take you to small claims court..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• It means they are taking you to court to try to collect.....

Answer by older at 3:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Usually just goes on your credit report. They can file a court hearing to garnish your wages, but usually they just end up selling the account to another collection. You may get more fees added on too.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 3:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Sometimes if it is a small debt they just write it off and it goes on your credit report. If it's enough money, they'll take you to court. The court will put you under an order to pay off the debt. How accomodating they will be to your financial situation totally depends on the judge.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Yes, it's to court proceedings.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 3:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• they will prob keep calling and sending letters...
    littlekitty2002

Answer by littlekitty2002 at 3:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I haven't been in your situation, but I do know if they cannot reach you, they will try calling your past places of residence trying to find you.

We bought our house almost 7 years ago and have been receiving collection calls and letters at least once a week for 4 years now to the previous owner.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:53 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• It depends on the amount owed. Owing a company $200 is different than owing a company $10,000. I'm guessing though that since we're talking about credit cards that it's a significant amount, say over $1000 in which case they will take you to court. If ignore the summons a bench warrant will be issued.
    MegMurry

Answer by MegMurry at 3:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• it means that they can subpoena you to court. You may have a cop showing up at your door to get you to sign a paper saying you got the subpoena. You can try moving & changing your phone number. My friend got married & when she changed her last name, they stopped bothering her. BUT, they can find you......

If o one is there to sign the court summons, you don't have to go to court. BUT, they are good at getting you at awkward times. My DH once got a subpoena for the same exact thing at 10:30 at night. They're good at getting you while you're home. The worst thing you could do is call them. Now they know you're aware of whats going on & they'll come after you harder.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 4:01 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• They will take you to court and you will be ordered to pay an amount. If you don't pay then they can garnish your paycheck or go after your bank accounts. Best thing to do is make a payment arraignment with the collection company.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:01 PM on Jun. 27, 2011