Which one is better Albertsons Old Fashioned Oats 100% natural whole grain oats or Quaker Instant Oatmeal High Fiber CinnamonSwirl (market we have)

Ok Albertsons old fashioned oats has
calories 150. calories from fat 25. total fat 2.5g , saturated fat 0.5g
polyunsaturated fat 1G, monounsaturated fat 1G, choloestral 0 (zero MG)
dietary fiber 4grams, soluble fiber 2grams, sugar less than 1g, protein 5G.
Now Quaker oats high fiber cinnamon swirl( was told to use plane but this is the info)
calories 160 ,calories from fat 20. total fat 2G, saturated fat 0.5G, Polyunsaturated fat 0.5G, Mono fat 1G
Cholestrol ZeroMg (looks like OMG if i type it lol)
sodium 210MG, Potassium 115mg, total carbs 34G, dietary fiber 10G, Soluble fiber 8g, sugars 7Grams, protein 4grams.
so since the market brand has fewer calories but has less protein and less fiber is it better or the other name brand? I was told to always eat the plane kind but one has more fiber, more sugar more calories, less protein. Idk what yall think? Im trying to stay in my calorie intake

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• They both would be OK. If it were me, I would mix them. :-) The problem with the market brand is a high sodium content.....
    .
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 4:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• i didnt eat it lol. i ended up using 1 pouch of the BetterOats brand called Raw pure and simple. I dont own a microwave and it doesnt have the same consistency. I had to pour it in a pot with almond milk and force feeding it my self. I dont like it, its gross. but it seems better. i had to put a tablespoon of 0% plane fage yogurt. Really gross
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• The plain...it has less than 1 gram of sugar and less sodium plus it's not as processed which means more nutrients in it. You can sweeten it up with honey or maple syrup (both sugar high on the glycemic index but at least there's redeeming qualities to them) When I make oatmeal, I buy McCann's steel cut oatmeal which has a fantastic texture (a little crunchy) b/c it's less processed than rolled oats. I cook it in 2 parts water and 1 part almond milk add cinnamon to the liquid while it's boiling. once the oats are almost completely cooked I add in a smashed ripe banana and some egg white (there's NO flavor it's just for protein - you put eggs in baked goods too!) Then I add a little natural peanut butter and let it get soft and melty...the banana sweetens up the oats and the pb makes it taste like a pb cookie but much better for you. I tried almond butter but didn't like it as much...it's YUMMY!
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 6:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Always go with the regular whole grain. Never use instant or flavored, because there's all kinds of weird stuff in them. The only ingredient should be OATS. From there you can flavor it how you like. I add a little brown sugar or maple syrup, berries, wheat germ, ground flax, bee pollen, milk, and nuts in mine. Tasty and healthy!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Also, stay away from quick-cooking oats, get the ones that take 5 minutes or so.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I always make Quaker Old Fashioned Oatmeal that has to be cooked on top of the stove. Its so much healthier. The Instant Oatmeals are worthless and way too sweet.
    We do not have Albertsons in Minnesota.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 8:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2011