Is this legitimate?

I recently posted on craigslist about needing to find a job to do from home, someone contacted me and asked if i could work as a mail dispatcher. He said i would be sending out letters and packages from my home and his company pays all shipping costs. For this i would be paid $400 a week. Seems too good to be true but today i received a check for $2500. I was told to take $400 out for my payment and the rest is for shipping costs. So im wondering do i cash the check or not? Im really not sure what to do. Anyone heard of this before? Is it some kind of scam or fraud?

price85

Asked by price85 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• Sounds like a scam...don't cash that check...
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 4:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Yikes. I am not sure about that. I've never done any kind of mailing service. Is there a number you can call to get some help?

I work from home with a wellness company and help set up customer accounts. We have a great team that give 1:1 training and works along side of you to help you get started!

If this mailing service doesn't work out for you, I'd love to chat with you more on what I do!
    I have 4 kids at home and love being able to work from home around their schedule!

http://www.HappyHomefront.com

Or just PM me if you want to chat!
    Good luck! I hope you find the answer to your question and it works out for you!
    KTurner4

Answer by KTurner4 at 4:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• It is a scam. Call the Better Business Bureau. They will tell you.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 4:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• So let me get this straight. You posted an ad on Craigslist about needing a job. Someone contacts you about a job. There is no interview, no w-9's filled out. You get the job (even though there are several people looking for jobs, you just happen to be handed one.) Now, you get paid before you even do the job and it is an over payment. Do I need to go on or do you get the point that it is a scam?
    Anonymous

• No. What the heck do you think he wants to use your home to ship things out of instead of his own? DO NOT DO IT. Ya know, these are the types of scams that involve illegal distribution of child porn at the least.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 4:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• It's a scam, don't cash the check because it will bounce in your account & you will be out the money. If anything take it to the bank on the check.
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 5:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Scam, scam, scam alert!
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• This one IS a scam!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I thought so too just wanted to see what the consensus was and I got my answer. I will not be cashing that check.
    price85

Comment by price85 (original poster) at 7:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Hi Get Excited & Stay Excited™! This is definitely a scam. The scam is to send a phony check that over pays the victim, get the victim to cash it and send the money back via western union. What happens when the bank finally realizes & contacts you that there is no money in the acct that the original check was drawn off of, you're stuck with owing your bank that $2500. Something similar happened to me except when I was selling my car online years ago. I have a lot of experience working from home & identifying scams, check out my group on here for hiring companies: http://www.cafemom.com/group/91786. Hope this helps. ~Blessings

blessed2behome

Answer by blessed2behome at 5:24 AM on Jun. 28, 2011