Can you help me with my vacation meal plan?

Every summer 8 close friends and their children get together for a 2 week vacation. It's always a lot of fun, but the only downside is we have to prepare all our own meals. The house we stay in has a full kitchen and a grill. I try to put together easy meals so the cook (mostly me) can spend time with the other guests, but I'm running out of ideas. We mostly end up grilling pork loin roast, chicken, burgers, and kabobs, but these get old real fast. I need some more easy crowd pleasing ideas. Any suggestions?

not-the-momma

Asked by not-the-momma at 4:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Cola Chicken sandwiches, Pulled pork sandwiches, Sloppy cheeseburgers, Taco Soup, All of these are crock pot meals except the first one. That way you can put it on and forget it and enjoy the vaction. PM me if you want the recipes.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 4:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I would suggest that each family have a night that they are responsible for cooking. We had a rotating schedule on vacation.

I would send out an email that each family needs to plan 1 or 2 dinners. Make a schedule where dinner has 1 couple cooking and a second couple helping on the cleanup crew. Depending on the schedule someone may only cook one night but cleanup twice. Some may have to cook twice and clean up once. No reason you should have to do that much work on your vacation. Start posting meal choices as people send their dinner ideas so you dont have duplicates. Taco night is fun, french dip sandwiches in crockpot, baked spaghetti, grilled hawaiin chicken...
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Spaghetti goes a long way!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I make a pan of lasagna at home, freeze it, and it is all ready for vacation.

Answer by Bmat at 4:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• That sounds like so much fun!! Have you thought of crockpot meals? That would free you up to visit. I like what Bmat said too. You can do the same thing with Baked Ziti. You could do a make your own pizza one night. Put all the toppings out, like a pizza bar and let everyone do their own.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Breakfast for dinner is good too.
    ria7

• lasagna, burritos, tacos, bq chicken, chicken rice cassorele, pork chops, breakfast night, spagetti, toss salad night with rolls, make your own sub night, fried rice and egg rollls, hot dogs, cold pasta salad with sides and then add fruit, roast, sausage with fried pts, meatloaf, chicken fried steak, cordon blue, ribs, try kraft website for summer meal ideas.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 5:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• An easy fruit dip- Equal amounts of cream cheese and marshmallow creme- it is fabulous- then make a fruit bouquet with styrofoam base and fruit on toothpicks- pinapple, strawberries and grapes work well. Premade frozen cinnamon rolls- leave rise in a cool oven overnight and waa lah... Alot of cheese, meats and crackers for snacks. little smokies and stick pretzels for make shift forks. salomi roll ups- spread cream cheese on salami slice and roll up pickle slice or baby dills. .. You can make cookie dough ahead of time and freeze then all you do is break up and bake.... for for main dishes, Grilled chicken halves, grill on low for a little over an hour..preheat and sear both sides, turn to low ... Let cool, debone and dice. awesome chicken salad sanwhiches. ( walmart has very reasonable whole chickens. ) Tacos in a bag, make a big batch of chili and have chili dogs and chili cheese frie
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 5:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• When I go with my sister, 3 brothers with their family and my parents, each family has a night to cook - we do mexican one night (taco salads, taco shells, queso dip, etc.); italian (usually a baked ziti with garlic bread and salad); burgers with beans and chips; pizza one night again with salad and some fresh fruit; NC bbq on buns with slaw and brunswick stew; turkey breast with corn, green beans, etc; breakfast one night with breakfast casserole, bacon, and muffins; and then my mom brings a huge honeybaked ham which we have for supper with sides and then use whatever is left for sandwiches the rest of the week.

Answer by missanc at 5:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Bring along a crock pot. Easy pulled pork sandwiches:

In a crock pot, place a boneless pork shoulder roast. Combine a bottle of BullsEye Carolina brand barbecue sauce with about 1/2 cup of water to thin it out a little bit. Pour it over the pork roast. Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours. Toast some burger buns, shred the pork with forks, and serve with dill pickles and cole slaw or potato salad. SOOO good!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2011