Ice Storm!

Has anyone every been thru an ice storm? We have it's the worse, wondering how our moms in the area are holding up? No power, & your husband & kids home 24/7 God help them!
ours was out for 8 days during our storm, anyone care to share some memories? )

tntornado45

Asked by tntornado45 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Oi. The only ice storm I've ever endured was in 2002. We didn't have power for three days, I don't know how you survived eight, holy crap. We were completely unprepared. I live in NC, for chrissakes, we freak when we get 1/4 inch of snow.

Anyway, we had to break off chunks of ice and snow and melt them over the kerosene heater for like three hours just to get one flush out of the toilet (we were on well water). I didn't take a shower for two days, gross. My dad finally took me to the YMCA on the third day and I was able to get a hot shower. We took our clothes to the laundromat (THAT part of town had power, oh HA HA HA) and did our laundry...then when we got back home the power was back on. It was a total AW WTF moment, lol.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 3:35 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• lol omg It was the absolute worse thing we ever had to endure! we live in Chattanooga tn ( hi neighbor ) the national guard was going up & down the street handing out water,hubby wouldn't let me get any ( proud men) duh! ~ we had to do the same as you to flush the potty, not any fun cooking over a kerosene heater is it? lol just wondering when the weather calls for snow do all the stores there run out of milk & bread lol ( we do here) even a 1/4 in :)

tntornado45

Answer by tntornado45 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• We've been through 2 so far.

The first one we were out of power for 6 days. It was actually really fun. We got together with the rest of our family and sat by the fire and played games. It was nice not to have things from everyday life interrupting us.

The second we were out for 3 days. It wasn't so much fun. Our daughter was like 8 months and we had a hard time finding wood plus we didn't have any family around to lean on.
    kinzleysmommy

Answer by kinzleysmommy at 3:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Ugh here in about I believe it was 2000, we had a HORRIBLE one. We didn't have power for almost two weeks and I'm not kidding. Thank GOD I did not have my little one yet, I don't know how in the world I would managed that...it makes me super paranoid, last year one time I even ran out and rented a generator because I was so worried and we didn't even end up losing power, LOL.
    aurorabunny

Answer by aurorabunny at 4:02 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I live in Missouri and we had an ice storm 2 years ago. I was 4 months pregnant with our first baby and our power was out for 10 days. We had neighbors who had family an hour away who were out of town on vacation so we all went to their house for the week. We had soo much fun. I would have rather had my house though. All of our food was ruined and when the power finally came back on our fridge went out from the power surges I guess. It was the worse ice storm our area had seen in 10 years. It was horrible.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 4:54 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• we had one last year (december 10) that kept alotta ppl w/o power for several weeks, & caused a lotta property damage. i was pregnant & thank God we only went a day w/o power & our pipes didnt freeze so we had water. my DH & i played risk, monopoly, & about 20 games of Sorry. it was really fun. we had moved into our house about a week before it & im glad we had enough firewood. we were getting ready to put our frozen stuff outside when it came back on. once we got power back we had our married friends stay in our guest room. there apt complex was going to shut their water off until the electricity came back on!

i worked for the electric company at the time & got bitched out everyday for a week straight! this year EVERYONE cut there large tree limbs off around October to keep it from happening again. im just glad the city learned its lesson!
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 5:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I was in the one that blew through Ohio in 2004.We were out of power for a like 10 days. I was actually pregnant with my oldest daughter at the time. Hubby and I had to huddle around a kerosene heater with some friends of our. We ate cold cereal and ravioli out of the can. lol. We even tried to store food in the garage, but some animal got in and was eating on our frozen foods. LOL. It was really hard at the time, but we all got through it. Can't say I ever look forward to another one though, thats for sure!
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 12:04 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• We had one 3 yrs ago and were without power for 3 days. Of course it had to be the week of my oldest son's 1st bday party! My sister and her husband had come up to stay with us for a few days before the party... the first time they had been to our house, which they already think is in BFE, lol... So I'm trying to entertain people, get a party ready, and take care of the baby with no power! We had a propane heater for heat. Dh finally gave up and went to buy a generator the day of the party. Of course when he's on his way back from the store, the power comes back on!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 1:07 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• I can count being in about 5 ice storms since I have been a teenager. I learned at a very early age in my young adult life the importance of a generator. Then when we moved to Va Beach and endured Hurricanes, it only reinforced the generator being a good investment...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:59 AM on Dec. 15, 2008

• Every year we get ice storms and our power can be out for weeks trying to get back thousands of homes in the area. Bummer. People camp out at hotels with generators if they can afford to or they go to local shelters so they have food, heat, and a place to sleep. Its amazing to me every time how much we depend on electricity - everything stops working and it is at a stand still. It is also dangerous for the elderly and for young children. My neighbor has a generator so we go there.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:03 AM on Dec. 15, 2008