Fever

My 2 yr old lil boy got a fever of 102 last night but wasn't acting sick so I gave him some medicine and it went away well this morning it came back gave him a lil more medicine well it broke and he took a nap and well now its back again only its like 103 im really worried im afrid there's something wrong but he's not acting sick at all my BF said im worrying to much and there's prob nothing wrong with him except that he might be cutting his 2 yr old molars but I wanna call and make him drs appointment do u think im over reacting or would u be worried too

XxtoxicbeautyxX

Asked by XxtoxicbeautyxX at 4:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• its inner-ear infection because fever will keep cameing back take child to doctor thats what happen too my two year old boy
    sassy21176

Answer by sassy21176 at 4:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Gosh, I would be worried too. At least call your doctor. My dd ran a low grade fever with her molars but never higher thatn 100.9. A fever, imo, means his little body is fighting something. So it can't hurt to call the doc. Maybe you can talk to the nurse on the phone and see what she thinks.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• if worried I would take him in since in number of reasons could be running a fever like that. Anything from cutting teeth, ear infection but my girls would scream with theirs, bladder infection. My ran a fever and complained about her arm and doctor said it was nothing but finally took her in and ended up in the hospital with mrsa and needed surgury. I always say better say then sorry and if it helps put your mind at ease then yes by all means make a doctors app. It might be nothing but at least you would know for peace of mind.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 4:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I would have the child looked at a child can develop an ear infection when cutting their teeth because of the fluid build up. I would give him tylenol for the discomfort/fever. If the fever continues over 101 with the tylenol I would put him in a cool bath and wet his skin and hair to help bring the temp down until you can get into the doctors office. Children can tolerate a higher fever better than adults and the fever usually is worse at night when they are tired.
    mommyjewel

Answer by mommyjewel at 4:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• With MRSA like a pp mentioned, there isn't always a fever. My DS got frequent MRSA infections for 2 1/2 years, as well as, myself, my husband, my two SILs and my FIL. I highly doubt it's MRSA unless you see a boil.

If he is acting alright, I wouldn't worry. Fevers are just showing that the body is fighting off an infection. The fever won't hurt him unless he suffers from febrile seizures.
    tangleballlover

Answer by tangleballlover at 4:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Ok thank you im gonna watch him more today and if it continues im gonna call his doc to get him looked at
    XxtoxicbeautyxX

Comment by XxtoxicbeautyxX (original poster) at 5:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I'm a pediatrics RN.... my advice:
    Treat the symptoms, not the fever... so if he's acting fine it's nothing to worry about... most likely a virus.
    Fever's themselves are harmless... it's other worrisome symptoms you watch for such as trouble breathing, dehydration or clear causes of fever such as pulling at ears or crying when they pee.
    If he has a fever over 101 for more than 5 days then he should be seen or if he starts to act very sick... but kids get bugs all the time and children easily run fevers 103-104 and frequently higher (I've seen as high as 107) Like I said, watch for the other symptoms to tell you how your child is doing... they are the better indicator.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 8:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My doctor said a fever more than 3 days needs to be brought in OR if the fever is 104. Dont hesitate to bring your child to the doctor.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 12:08 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• i would be worried 2 and no ur not over reacting....
    taratennant60

Answer by taratennant60 at 7:03 AM on Jun. 28, 2011