Is factual information less valid if presented by someone of differing beliefs?

I'd not thought about it until now, but that was exactly what was stated by the OP of a prior thread...

"Next time I ask a Christian question I will know who to listen to and who not to listen to. That was the purpose of this question, not for debate."

Now, we all know that there are some unnamed individuals we simply ignore based on prior experience with (mainly because they're completely fruit loops), BUT- when factual information is presented, does it somehow become less valid, less factual, if presented by someone of a differing religion, or none at all?
Does information have to come from an individual who shares belief in its relavence, in order for it to be factual?

**Feel free to claim your statement if you'd like. But please spare me the persecution complex if you do. If something piques my interest, I quote it. All the regulars know that. Don't feel special.

ObbyDobbie

Asked by ObbyDobbie at 4:46 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Religious Debate

• Well, I did not see the post you are referring to but imo facts are facts. If a person quotes a fact that can be backed up by any sort of article or example then there is no reason to dismiss it. At that point, again imo, you are dismissing it simply to be contrary.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:54 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• "Is factual information less valid if presented by someone of differing beliefs?"

Only if one suffers from cognitive bias/cognitive dissonance.

clarity333

Answer by clarity333 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• If they are FACTS, why wouldn't they be valid from anyone, no matter who they are? I always believe facts.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 5:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• What constitutes a Fact; aren't facts relative to the perceive?

turtldov

Answer by turtldov at 5:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• fact [ fakt ]   

1. something known to be true: something that can be shown to be true, to exist, or to have happened

2. truth or reality of something: the truth or actual existence of something, as opposed to the supposition of something or a belief about something

3. piece of information: a piece of information, e.g. a statistic or a statement of the truth

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Sorry--I don't know why that ended up Super-Sized. I must have accidently ordered a "Venti" rather than a "Tall".
    jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 5:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• What was the fact you presented- I have seen people on here quote facts that are actually opinion or theory- so I would have to know what you quoted to answer the question specifically-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• "when factual information is presented, does it somehow become less valid, less factual, if presented by someone of a differing religion, or none at all?"

If it's really factual information, then no, it shouldn't make a difference. However, it's also a fact that a person who lives a religion will know more about it than someone who Googled it. And sadly, regarding religion, more often than not those who don't practice also have their own prejudices and are quite "selective" about the facts they present and the interpretation they give to them.

Sharon
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 5:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Considering what we've seen already from the person who made that particular statement - facts aren't real big in her world to begin with, so who presents them probably don't count for nearly as much as how well they match the version already decided in her head (in the world where there's only one deity and everyone who believes is it is automatically Christian).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:48 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Is this the fact: " there is no god, goddess, deity, higher power."
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:09 PM on Jun. 27, 2011