Did you move into your husbands place or did he move into yours?

I married a man who was divorced for awhile.
When I moved in.. #1- it had been a bachelor pad for a while.
#2- it still had the basics of what the previous wife had done before, like what was in certain places or cabinets, closets etc had stayed that way.
He sort of just kept right on living around the way it was before, minus what she took of course. It was hard for me to make sense of alot of things for awhile when cleaning out a junk drawer, cabinet or file cabinet, attic boxes etc. There were years and years of stuff that really, she didn't want and left and he had no clue what it was or what to do with it. I felt like it was going to take me forever to sort through it all, slowly making decisions on what was what and trying to make it feel completely like "our home". Plus, when we did buy a new home and moved, I didn't want to take all of that with us too. So, I had to narrow things down alot.
I thought I was never going to stop making piles(BIG piles) of throw away, keep but store, donate and trash etc. I'm a recycler so it took even longer because we were 13mi from nearest town that did recycling pick up/drop off. I eventually got it all done.

Have you ever been through this when you moved into your husbands place?
I'm just assuming that when guys move in with us,(after marriage) they don't worry with most of this stuff but I guess I'd better be careful on that one, Lol. Some guys clean and organize very well!!

KellyGirl_TX

Asked by KellyGirl_TX at 4:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Home & Garden

• we moved into his grandmothers house together.. it had been sitting empty for 5 years so we moved into her stuff and tried to figure out where ours would fit in this "empty" (which is full of stuff) house that she gave to us. Granny is a packrat and I never know eh I will find something special that someone wants to keep so if i decide to tackle a box I have to invite the entire family up to look through everything before it goes into storage... very annoying!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Neither. We bought a house together 2 weeks before we were married, but didn't spend the night together in it until after the wedding.

Answer by missanc at 5:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• i moved into his with my 2.5 yr old
    jenn660

Answer by jenn660 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• We moved into OURS!!!!!

Answer by older at 4:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• we got a place together :D we lived an hour n an a half away so we met in the middle :D

kylansmommy09

Answer by kylansmommy09 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• We got a new place together so that it would be "ours".
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 4:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I moved in with him because his kids refused to leave their home (even though my home was bigger and I had kids that didn't want to be uproooted). Luckily his ex had never lived in this house but it was so obvious that a bachelor had done the decorating!
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 5:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• he moved into mine
    1_love_2_hearts

Answer by 1_love_2_hearts at 5:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• We got married first. Then we rented an apartment for about 9 months before we bought our first home together. About 7 years after that, we built the home we have lived in for the past almost 38 years.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Thank You for all your responses!! This wasn't necessarily a question about whether or not you got married first but I can appreciate that too.
    KellyGirl_TX

Comment by KellyGirl_TX (original poster) at 10:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2011