For moms of gamers

Especially younger gamers.

What games do you let your kids play?

Do you check the ratings before?

I am surprised by how many parents don't realize the ratings system on games is there for a reason. It's like they don't even know it exists. Which is sad, because there are a lot of games out there that are totally not appropriate for children.

Such as L.A. Noire. Senseless violence, sex, drug use, foul language, crime. Why would you want your child to play a game like that????

Or Grand Theft Auto. Same theme as L.A. Noire. How about Left for Dead? Assassin's Creed?

My son is 10, and he always wants to play these nasty gross violent games because his cousins get to. I'm sorry, but I don't want him playing these games. There is nothing good or wholesome about them. Especially not when there are so many other better nicer games out there. It's really hard to protect my son from seeing these games being played when his cousins (his dad's family) get to do pretty much whatever they want. I can see why he thinks it is unfair. But he understands and goes along with my rules. I know he watches them play these games when he visits them. I wish he wouldn't, but I'm not there so not much I can do about it. And his dad doesn't think it's a big deal. Well it is. It is NOT just a game. It simulates real-life situations. And if it isn't okay to kill people, do drugs, steal things, and so on, in real life, then why should it be okay to play a game that has all of this in it??? NO.

The ratings are there for a reason, and as moms, it's our responsibility to look out for our kids.

Do you look at the ratings and contents of games before you let them play?

What kinds of games do your kids like and how old are they?

I'm just curious.

chavela_carlita

Asked by chavela_carlita at 4:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Entertainment

• I have a very young gamer, DD (who is 5) is allowed to play mario games and whatever comes on her learning laptop a few times a week but I do look at games that even DH will play and judge if the kids can even be in the room when he will play to relax from his hard day..
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 5:01 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I check the ratings and the content. My gamer is 13, but partial/full nudity in a game is OUT. ( No D.O.A for 3ds) i'm ok with the violence and language because my child is pretty mature for 13 and understands it's only a game.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:20 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• my son is 12 and plays some of the games with a mature rating.. But i REFUSE to let any of the Grand Theft Auto games be played.. He plays Fable and Resident Evil and has played Assasains Creed.. God of War and a few others.. but I have a step son who's mother doesnt care that her 11 year old boy is not mature enough to handle the games like GTA San Andreas and buys him any game he wants regardless of what it is.. The ones I deem inappropriate that he brings to our house, he never gets back..
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• As for what they play Naruto series, Final Fantasy, Professor Layton, Scribblenauts (which comes recommended from DD for your kiddo), Drawn to Life, The World Ends With You, and Dragon Quest to name a few. BTW these are DS games. The Wii doesn't get alot of play time. And most of the games for it are kid friendly for my 10, 8, and 5 year old.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 5:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• bump
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 3:49 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• I am a life-long hater of GTA, the newest game that just hit my s*** list is L.A. Noire. It's WAAAAY worse than GTA. I never thought they could make a game any worse than that one, but they sure have surpassed their all-time low when it comes to game making. Can they not make more beneficial games? That don't include glorifying crime, drugs, sex, and other stuff like that??? Geez. 

chavela_carlita

Comment by chavela_carlita (original poster) at 2:33 AM on Jun. 29, 2011