Garage Sale Techniques

I need suggestions and everything on how to set up, price things, run and how long to have a garage sale. I have never had one before so any ideas and thoughts would be helpful. Thanks

PS I HAVE A COUPLE FORMAL DRESSES ONE IS TEA LENGTH AND ONE IS ANKLE LENGTH THAT I'LL BE SELLING WHAT KIND OF PRICE WOULD I PUT ON THESE?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 5:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Money & Work

• I've done a couple (would never do another one). I found it best to have everything displayed as nicely as possible and tried to group like things together. I priced them with stickers,,,BUT the goal for me was to get rid of that stuff so I didn't let price become an issue. Have change and plastic bags. I also had a large FREE PILE, and the longer into the day the more stuff I would put in the free pile. Good luck.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 5:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I have 2 big things when it comes to yard sales- signing and making it big. You get your neighbors or friends to join you. This does a couple of things- first it makes it less work for you- you can divide up the signing and advertising and everyone can tell their friends. Second, it gets people to stop. If you have a ton of stuff, you will get more people to stop. If you don't, they will just drive by and not even stop. In order to get people to come, make sure you have a ton of signs with big bold arrows. Arrows are a lot easier to follow than an address.
    I also did a free box at my yard sale- it was full of clothes that were dirty or torn that I didn't want to charge people for.
    Finally, to make cleanup nice and easy because you will be tired by the end of the day, find a local charity that can come pick up your leftovers.
    lauralivivy

Answer by lauralivivy at 6:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Or set up a table of say $5 or $10 items with a color dot sticker so you know those are going at that price ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:00 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Set things up easy to see so people can see what you have. As for prices that all varies on the items and how bad you want to get rid of them so that would be up to you. I do little stickers on the item with the price easy to see. Do about 8 to 12 when people start hitting the sales cause it seems lunch time slow and then you might get a few in the afternoon but morning time the better. Can have things like cookies or banana bread on the side to make some extra money or have some sitting out since while they are eating they will take the time to look longer and will probley end up buying something they might have missed. Also be sure to put an ad in the paper so get people to come by.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 6:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Oh- I forgot to add- if you are able to find neighbors to do it with, don't forget to mention that it is a multifamily yard sale in all of your adds. Good luck(;
    lauralivivy

Answer by lauralivivy at 6:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Post garage sale on Craig List, this made a huge difference in our garage sale traffic. Good Luck!
    1northwestmom

Answer by 1northwestmom at 6:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I've used many of the tip mentioned here.  I've have found that it's the furniture that sell quickly first.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:42 PM on Jun. 27, 2011