is calling parents by first name rude?

my 2 year old calls my hubby and i by our first name all the time. everytime he does i remind him that its mommy and daddy and he will correct himself. my neighbor whom was over the other day heard him and said that it was disrespectful and i should put him in time-out for it or ignore him, is it just me or does that sound a little harsh?

priscilla423

Asked by priscilla423 at 7:11 PM on Jul. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think it's disrespectful, it's just that he has found himself calling you that. It's just a learned behavior that can be redirected and changed. Something as simple as you and your husband calling each other by first name around your son all the time could have caused him to pick up on that, which just happens sometimes!
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 7:14 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• He has probably just heard your two calling each other by your names or others calling you by your names and just the same as you call him by his name and not "son" he is trying your first names...I have worked in child care and have seen this type of thing many times. It seems to annoy the parents but the children seem to just be trying something new but still underestand that you are "mom" and "dad"...dont worry about what your neighbor thinks just go with what you feel is right
    ReneeLRS

Answer by ReneeLRS at 7:17 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• I wouldn't discipline him, he's a baby.
    I would just gently remind him until he stops, each time he says it, that, "My name is Mommy!" playfully.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:04 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• He is navigating that whole world of "you can be more than one person at a time". You are mommy and Sue, and he is struggling to figure that out. I might could understand this being disrespectful if your son was 16, not 2.
    sharee1400

Answer by sharee1400 at 9:32 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• i dont think so.I think he does it because he probably hears you both call each other by first name.I started calling my hubby "daddy" and he started calling me "mommy" so now my daughter no longer calls us by our first name,just mommy and daddy.
    Keikosmom

Answer by Keikosmom at 10:47 PM on Jul. 12, 2008

• We went through this with my daughter. She eventually started calling us mom and dad. The more we fussed about it the more she refused to do it. So we just ignored her and she finally came around on her own!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 12:35 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• yes lol why does he do that?
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 12:37 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• When your child is older I'd say yes it's disrespectful and rude, but at the age of 2 it's more likely that he is repeating what he hears everyone else calling you. This is a very repetitive age for them , they copy and mimick so much of what they see and hear, Just remind him it's mommy and daddy and keep being persistent on reminding him. As for your neighbor I wouldn't worry to much what they say, if you and your husband are ok with it who cares about everyone else
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 2:44 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• Your neighbor needs to go somewhere seriously. Who's the parent here? I know some people actually had their children use their first names. Now he is probably mimicing you and your husband. As long as you are correcting him if thats what you want him to say you should be fine.
    GoldieLocks18

Answer by GoldieLocks18 at 11:32 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• i don't think that their really is a problem with it. i would just remind him that my name is mommy and daddy's name is daddy. he is just hearing every body else call you by your name so he wants to do it.
    mommyof3kids08

Answer by mommyof3kids08 at 5:16 PM on Jul. 14, 2008