Choosing a memory foam: any recommendations?

We visited several furniture stores today just to get an idea. Looks like we can't get anything at a furniture store without paying $700 MINIMUM. Looking online, there are so many more brands, and for so much cheaper! OF course, the guy at the furniture store warns us about cheap chinese brands, and I don't want to get stuck with that, but the ones on Amazon have such good ratings. I'm starting to get really confused and frustrated. Of course I'd rather spend $300-$400 if I can get something comfortable. I want to get quality, but are they really that much better from the stores? Its harder to find reviews on the ones I saw in the stores.

Adelicious

Asked by Adelicious at 5:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Home & Garden

• We bought a memory foam topper at Sams Club for around $125. It just goes on top of our regular mattress and is wonderful. If there is any life left in your regular mattress, it could save you a lot!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Anonymous

• target has MF mattresses with various reviews...
    Anonymous

• We bought a Comforpedic and LOVE IT!! There is a firm side for him because he's a back sleeper and a plush side for me because I am a side sleeper. It cost us $2,700 for a king. Sometimes they will sell you the like they did us and we got a substantial discount. A good bed is an investment! Our old bed was 15 years old and we felt 90 when we got each morning.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 5:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• No, it has to be a mattress. We have an old memory foam that was given to us that needs to be replaced (don't know what brand it is), so we have not mattress to use a topper on. Just a platform bed.
    Adelicious

Comment by Adelicious (original poster) at 5:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Yeah, that's nice, but there's no way in the world I can spend $2700 on a mattress! Simply not an option.
    Adelicious

• Thanks, anon, I did read through that.... I feel like the more research I do, the more confused I am! :(
    Adelicious

Comment by Adelicious (original poster) at 5:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• If you stick with a known brand, you'll be better off. And a mattress is in investment.
    Anonymous

• We spent $1500 on our pillow top set.....believe me...I've tried to go the 'spending less' route and we suffered for it. We finally gave in and like Anon said..."it's an investment". It will last years and years....mine is a ....let me go look....Ours is a Simmons Beautyrest pillowtop mattress and box for $1500.00....we LOVE, LOVE it. I have severe back and hip problems too and I love my mattress.
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 2:56 PM on Jun. 28, 2011

• http://www.simmons.com/content/Beauty-Rest-Pillowtop.cfm

Here is a link. I think if we had just bought our mattress...would have been 7-800? I'm not sure though. Try the link to get pricing. I know it's nerve-wracking..I dreaded the shopping for mattress but glad it was overwith. :D
    KellyGirl_TX

Answer by KellyGirl_TX at 2:59 PM on Jun. 28, 2011