How would you word this invite???

Hi! I know Christmas is around the corner- bus so is my Daughters Birthday. We want to have a party for her but I don't want more toys!!! So I want to ask everyone to bring a boardgame. She'll be 3 -so she's about ready for them and we don't have any. Plus- I'm not asking people to bring anything really expensive. But- How do I word the invitation? Any thoughts? Thanks!

Greenbeans422

Asked by Greenbeans422 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Just for Fun

• "We invite you to a Board game Party! Instead of presents, bring a board game for (Insert Name here)"

then you all could even break out some of the games at the party!
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 3:52 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• You can't ask people for a certain present in an invite. That would be tacky!! If people ask then by all means let them know you want board games. But in my opinion you can't ask for something in an invite. When we have b-day parties I assume we will not be getting any gifts. Thats not the case, but I have parties to celebrate with friends and family-not for gifts:)
    Anonymous

• I agree with the first post. Throw a themed party. If they choose to get her something else, so be it. You could play on the fact that's she's three and call it a three and up board game party.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 3:57 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I agree, you can't ask for presents in an invitation in a polite fashion. The only way it can be done is to tell people when they call that that is what you would like. Or say "no presents" if you really don't want more toys.

Answer by Bmat at 3:59 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I agree with the themed party idea. I think its a cute idea and makes gift buying easy for the people invited.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 4:36 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I don't think presents should ever be mentioned in an invitation. If someone asks you what she would like or what she needs, then you can tell them board games would be nice. Otherwise, you just graciously accept whatever gifts are received. I won't exchange gifts unless they are duplicates or the wrong size, but that is another option if your guests provide gift receipts.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• We really don't want or need any more toys, so we had a food bank drive instead this year.

"In lieu of gifts, (celebrant's name) encourages guests to bring food donations for the (food bank) to help less fortunate children in honour of her birthday."
    frecklepelt78

Answer by frecklepelt78 at 5:19 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• i think its fine to ask for a certain gift, its like the baby shower idea of signing a book for the baby instead of bringing a card.

i definetly agree with the first post about have a themed party. great idea!
    walkthisway522

Answer by walkthisway522 at 5:25 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• we do toonie parties, where guests bring a toonie in lieu of a gift. (for those who don't know a toonie is a canadian 2-dollar coin)
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 5:27 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I agree that it's simply not good etiquette - unless asked - to tell someone what to buy for your child.

Maybe you can accept whatever they bring and return them for board games?
    Jill42721

Answer by Jill42721 at 7:51 AM on Dec. 15, 2008