Teen girls and their first period

My daughter will be 14 yrs old in October and very small for her age, just got her first period over the weekend. Mind you we were camping, so I feel so bad for her. I happened to have 2 pads in the camper for some odd reason (I use tampons). We went to the store and I couldn't believe the selection they had for pads. We stood there for what seemed to be forever.
My sister has 2 daughters that have also gotten theirs, so I called her. They both just said to make sure the pad had wings... Needless to say, she realized this when we were going to head to the pool, she didn't get to swim all weekend.

We ended up getting the Walmart brand ones with wings, but I don't know how much they will hold. However, the next size up looked too thick.

What kind do your or did your daughters use when they first got their periods. My daughter is still in size 12 / 14 in girls clothing..

edit:  She does not want to use Tampons and I will not force it on her as I didn't start using them until I had her (I was 19).  Although I think they are much easier to use, I will leave it up to her).  Thankfully I will only have to go through this 1 more time (in 10yrs as my youngest is only 3 and the my other kid is a boy)..

OctMommyof3

Asked by OctMommyof3 at 5:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• i was 13 when I started my period and I started using tampons right away. Pads always felt uncomfortable and bulky to me. I guess it just comes down to whatever she's comfortable with. good luck
    april666

Answer by april666 at 6:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• stayfree regular with or without wings for nights and heavy days, they arent to thick, or the kotex ultra thins for light days, w/wo wings they work just as well and are more comfortable sometimes

i'd buy a couple differant styles and let her choose whats more comfortable for her....
    girlglow6

Answer by girlglow6 at 6:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Yeah, we are going to try out a few. When my sister and I were talking, we were saying they need to had the pads in a display case, so you can see them out of the wrapper....
    OctMommyof3

Comment by OctMommyof3 (original poster) at 6:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My daughter went straight for tampons. have you talked to your daughter about tampons? i use AlwaysThins with wings.

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Always Infinity with wings. Super thin and hold BUNCHES - cost more but well worth it. And tampons - I don't recommend until your daughter has had her cycle regularly for at least 6 months.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 6:12 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• How can she swim with pads? I used tampons my first time. Good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I recommend always infinity with wings or kotex ultra thin with wings. I am a small woman and these work well for me. I don't know how small your daughter is, but I am 5 foot tall and usually only weigh 96- 110lbs when I am not pregnant of course.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 6:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I was 13 years old when I first got it. I highly recommend pads with wings, that also helps them stay in place (from what I experienced)
    Ann_Asher

Answer by Ann_Asher at 6:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My 14 year old daughter will not use tampons. She uses Always Overnights with wings.
    emmyandlisa

Answer by emmyandlisa at 6:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I got my period when I was 10. Back then, we used garters and pins...! Self-stick pads were a Godsend!!! Always is the best brand IMHO, but you can save money by buying Target and Walmart versions. They work just as well and are a lot cheaper. Also, as far as thickness, that is going to be up to her. Wings or no-wings - that is a personal choice, too, but wings keep the undies cleaner on the sides. I agree with the other moms - buy her different ones and let her try them. She will find the right one for her. I don't like tampons, so I only use them if I swim, which is rare nowadays.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 7:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2011