4 slices of 100% whole wheat bread as bread crumbs better then package bread crumbs?

I have a recipe that calls for 4 bread slides to make bread crumbs. its by Ellie Krieger. Here is her Recipe Link for chicken Parmesan http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ellie-krieger/chicken-parmesan-recipe/index.html

the normal bread crumbs i got are 110 calories, and i have Panko crumbs that are the same 110 calories

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Not sure about the calories in comparison but I do know that making your own bread crumbs are much healthier, especially if the bread you're buying doesn't have any high fructose corn syrup or hydrogenated oils in it. When I read the labels of bread crumbs I was annoyed because I have yet to find bread crumbs w/o transfats in it which is garbage. So I make my own which is not very convenient but healthier. I suppose if you buy healthy life bread and do it, it's lower calorie as well as better than boxed bread crumbs
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 6:09 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• and they are less salty than premade breadcrumbs. My breaded chicken tends to be moister with homemade crumbs over boxed.
    tomib

Answer by tomib at 6:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• 1/2 bread crumbs and half crushed (food processor) fiber one cereal.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Maybe a stupid question, but how do you make our own bread crumbs?? Do you dry the bread out first??

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:41 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• toast it well on a low setting in the oven then put it in the food processor.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:59 AM on Jun. 28, 2011