Redoing a newborn screen

Why would they need to redo a newborn screen, and wait until the baby was almost 6 weeks old to redo it? My sil had to take my nephew in to have his redone today. He will be 6 weeks tomorrow. The doctors never said why it needed redone...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have no idea - good luck!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:29 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Which newborn screening? My youngest had to go back for the hearing screening. She shouldn't worry until they tell her too.

Good luck!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My ds had failed his cystic fibrosis newborn screen and had to be retested. Did fine the 2nd time. Best wishes!
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 6:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• There are many reasons. It could be that they didn't have enough samples that were good enough to use or they had something that looked a little abnormal and needed to wait for he body to develop a little more before retesting.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Hmm, maybe your sister ahould ask the doctor why they want to test him again? Instead of assuming and or panicing...
    luv.my.kids.365

Answer by luv.my.kids.365 at 6:39 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My second son needed his newborn screening redone. He was on TPN in the hospital and that caused one of the results to come back positive and it ended up being a false positive.
    mommyjewel

Answer by mommyjewel at 6:47 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• my DD failed her hearing test and we redid it when she was two months old{she was fine}
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 8:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2011