How do I get my 3 year old to clean up his toys!!

I have a 5 year old that cleans up just fine. Then i have a 3 year old that wont clean up at all and I dont no how to go about geting him to do it. I tried time out and that didnt work. I just really dont no what else would work.

Amandanadam

Asked by Amandanadam at 6:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Dont give him the option to tell you no...have him either do it or take him gently by the arm and go to each toy with him and make him pick it up. Ive had to do this with my 2.5 yr old..it works. And now he picks up his own toys.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 6:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Make it some sort of game, there is a song that sings about picking up toys, get it and play it for him, and make it a game until it becomes a routine.

Answer by older at 6:52 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Ask him to help you. Children that age like to help but they don't necessarily like to work alone, but as long as the two of you are doing it together, it is fun. To be honest, I work better myself when I have help. It doesn't seem like work when you have someone to share the time with.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I agree with Amberlovesher3. But also, if my 4 yr olds ds still decides not to pick up his toys...all I have to do is pull out the vacuum cleaner. He picks them up fast. I sucked one of his toys up one time and now he knows...if they dont get picked up say good bye to your toys,lol.
    Terra24

Answer by Terra24 at 6:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• yeah the clean up songs help, at first you can tell him you will help him and you can do it together a few times then he can start doing it himself, if you still have problems the toys do not come out until he will clean them up, or give him one toy at a time and he cant get another one until he puts the one he is playing with away, he will soon get the gist.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 6:58 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• We make a game out of it. First I have him pick up all the red cars, then green, etc or we see how fast he can pick things up. Break it up into very specific tasks (i.e. pick up all the cars, then pick up the puzzle) to make it less overwhelming. I also help out a bit to keep things moving.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2011