How r your kids getting along this summer?

I have a 10 and 4 yr old, and where we live there r not alot of things to do unless we drive over an hr away. It seems that they r cooped up inside with nothing to do but argue with each other. It is to hot to go outside unless it is later in the day. I think we r all about to go insane. The summers seem to pull us away from a scheduled routine. My oldest do have doesn't get to see his friends often even though we do have scheduled playdates every once in a while. My youngest is very active and always looking for something to do, but that is hard to keep him entertained at all times. And as for me i don't get the socialization that i normally get through the school yr. and my husband is dealing with alot of stress right now. Just seems that summers bring us down. What do u guys do for fun?

hollieshobbie

Asked by hollieshobbie at 6:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• My boys go to day camp while DH and I are at work. There schedule really doesn't change much in the summer, but they seem to get along a little better without the stress of homework and extracurricular schedules. Mine are 10 and 6.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Wow, we can go insane together!!! My 2 are CONSTANTLY fighting, yelling, screaming, etc! They are 2 1/2 and 7. I miss the routine of school and dd misses her friends. She has done a lot so far, but she is bored every other minute. It is soooo hot here, we do not go out much. I try to take them somewhere once a week, just for a couple of hours, if I am feeling brave enough!! We practically have a toy store in our playroom, but they get bored with that. We will try some painting as soon as I get the supplies and do some more day trips. We have a tiny blow up pool they like on days I can tolerate the heat.
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 7:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• One day my kids are getting along great , the next day they are arguing over the simplest things. But getting a family size blow up pool for the back yard and getting the boys more toys for outside has helped.
    clumm

Answer by clumm at 7:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My boys are 5 and 7, and we home-school, so summers are no different from any other time of year for us. They spend pretty much all day, every day together. Sure, they have their moments of bickering, but for the most part they really do get along. And since they are always given the choice in how to spend their time, they don't get bored. They know how to keep themselves entertained, no matter the season (weather).

I don't want to make it seem like we never leave the house, or see other people. It's just our schedules don't really change, so there is no sudden upheaval. They don't suddenly go from hardly ever seeing each other, to spending all day together, so they know how to get along for extended periods.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 8:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• So far my daughter seems to be really enjoying being home all day with her little brothers. (She is 7 & they are 2.5 year old twins.)
    The only wrinkle for me is that they are a lot easier to plan for as far as lunches than she is. I know the boys love peanut butter, or sun butter (sunflower seed), or almond butter, & normally I can slap together sandwiches for them or just give them leftover cold oatmeal, and so they are easy, but my daughter is not crazy about most sandwiches. It's not that hard to accommodate her in some way, she will eat Ak-Mak crackers & hummus or she'll help make a grilled cheese or something, or she will put together a salad, but I'm just saying it's not as easy.

But they spend TONS of time together. They are really loving being outside, and inside they read & pretend. It is nice to see them chatting & playing! She also gets off to herself & plays an audiobook in her room while drawing or something.
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 10:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2011