Getting rid of fleas

I have three cats and they have fleas. I put a flea treatment on them that goes on between the shoulders, now they are scratching themselves, is it normal for them to do this? Does that mean it is working?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Pets

• Fleas can be awful once you get them. And even if you have house-cats who never go outside, they can still get a flea infestation. Anyone who visits your house who has a pet, or has walked past a yard that has pets, can pick up a single flea, and innocently deposit it into your home. One flea can become thousands seemingly overnight. So the best defense is to treat for fleas all year round. However, flea treatments can be harsh! So I only use the "Good Stuff" when we have an active flea problem. Between times, I use an herbal flea remedy that makes my house smell like cinnamon. It is mostly effective, but only against fleas and not against eggs or larvae, so I use it for prevention, but not for a major outbreak. Use Frontline once a month for three months to eliminate all the fleas. Then you can switch to less costly, less hazardous herbal treatment. As for your house, bomb it or use Diatomaceous Earth - Food grade, only.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 9:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• It means they are still itchy, but not necessarily have fleas. You got to give those treatments time to work, scratching makes the flea repellent spread out, so this is good.

Answer by older at 7:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• It will do you no good to put medicine on the cats and not treat your house. And you have to keep treating the cats.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 7:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• @ SweetLoveofMine I have been treating the house, thanks for assuming I didn't know that.
    @ LoreleiSieja I am going to go get the Diatomaceous Earth. I just want to make sure that what I use on the cats is working. And that they're scratching isn't a bad thing.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2011