How can I make my man feel better about his depression?

My b/f just lost his job about a month now and he was the bread winner for the family. So now I'm doing everything I can to take the bills such as working three jobs. He constantly gets depress and sometimes we tend to argue for nothing or he mention he has no money to do nothing what can I do to help him through this even though we talk or put our minds on other things it seems like its just not working.

mystery8307

Asked by mystery8307 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Relationships

• Praise him for whatever it is he is doing now, and tell him that as long as you two are together nothing matters, and things will get better.

Answer by older at 7:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Give him some time, and be as reassuring as you can. It takes a huge toll on their egos, and with the economy the way it is, there's not much promise of another job soon. Has he applied for unemployment yet? He needs to ASAP if not, because that only starts the day you apply, and it's not retroactive. My DH lost his job when I was 14 weeks pregnant, and he's had 2 jobs since then, but nothing has stuck, and with him being the new guy, he's the first to get laid off when something happens. It's been a REALLY hard few years (over 3 years now). Lots of luck to you guys!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 7:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• If you have 3 jobs, the job market obviously isn't that bad in your area. Why can't he find a temporary job until one opens up in his field. Even a part-time job would help him feel better. Just saying.
    momofkids

Answer by momofkids at 7:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Maybe you could help him find work? Let him know about openings that you see in the paper, signs at places you go... Other than that, you're doing a lot already to help him.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:16 PM on Jun. 27, 2011