The button on the pants help!

DS is 5- will be 6 in October.

He has NO problem buttoning his shirts up. I guess, i always got him the pants that snap together, rather than button (i feel like I got him the button ones too but eh)

But he cannot button them or unbutton! what do i do!? is there a trick or method to help him?

Shy_Dia

Asked by Shy_Dia at 7:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Bump...
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 7:06 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• 6yr old DS just mastered this skill this spring. He always wore sweats, and would wear the jeans at home, trying and trying and trying to get the button done. Then he finally was comfortable that he could do it at school, and voila! He wore them one day (I did let his teacher know just in case he needed help, and sent sweats in his backpack) and hasn't put on sweats since. What helped him was having a pr that are one size too big so that he can actually see what he is doing, if that makes sense. If they just fit him, he can't see where the button and hole are, KWIM? Your little one will be able to do it eventually. Maybe he can wear sweats or elastic waists for now at school, and at home just keep on practicing! GOOD LUCK!
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 7:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I'm 46 yrs old and still trying to master buttons myself LOL J/k! What I did for my girls when it came to shoelaces, buttons and zippers, I found a book that was so nice. It had hands on they could practice each. One page had shoelaces they tied up, another a button..etc. I think Books a Million had those
    Cenedra64

Answer by Cenedra64 at 7:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• i'll definitely look into the book!

right now, i have it so as soon as we get home, he puts on those pants and he cant take them off until its time to go to bed. he's been working on it for about 10 minutes now. the pants are a bigger size so he can see it... but maybe i should have him take it off and doing the button without the pants being on him...? Sigh. who knew there'd be such a struggle over a button on pants! lol
    Shy_Dia

Comment by Shy_Dia (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• That is a good idea, mama...have him try it with the pants off so he can get the gist of it. I just asked my son how he would tell someone...he said look at the button and push it through the hole...!
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 7:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• he got the hang of it within 2 attempts when it was off... it took about another 5 to button them when he had them off- and he still cant get them unbuttoned lol its progress though! he said his thumbs were hurting so he's taking a break.
    Shy_Dia

Comment by Shy_Dia (original poster) at 7:50 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Bump
    1sexymother

Answer by 1sexymother at 9:49 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Until DD gets it, I just sewed snaps into her pants. She's 4 and I doubt that she will get it anytime soon.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Hi DS is 6 as well, and the problem for him was waiting too long to go potty, we have been round and round, and I am still buying pants with a snap or a hook,,,boys will be boys, and he can tie his shoes and button his shirts, but when it comes time to un do the pants, forget about it,,,,LOL! I think he will get it by next year, and we have had many talks about not waiting to "go" until he is desperate, this could be what is happening with you kiddo!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• A lot of kids that age still have trouble with buttons, so I would just keep practicing.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 8:12 AM on Jun. 29, 2011