Should San Francisco ban the sell of pets?

They call it the "People's Republic of San Francisco", but judging by the latest piece of landmark legislation to come before civic authorities, northern California's first city deserves a new nickname. Something along the lines of "the Animals' Republic".

Local law-makers, whose legendary political correctness has, in recent years, seen them outlaw McDonald's Happy Meals, plastic bags, and the sale of bottled water, are to consider enacting another draconian ban: they want to stop people buying and selling pets.

The Humane Pet Acquisition Proposal, which has been prepared for consideration by San Francisco's governing Board of Supervisors, will prevent the trade in any domestic creature – from labradors to goldfish – taking place within the city limits. It has been crafted by activists who believe pet stores put profit before animal welfare, and say the industry causes needless suffering and death. They also argue that turning animals into commodities has parallels with the slave trade.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/first-it-banned-plastic-bags-now-san-francisco-may-outlaw-pets-2303673.html

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:15 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Pets

• Regardless of where puppies and/or kittens are obtained from (and usually it is from puppy mills/irresponsible backyard breeders), what bothers me JUST as much is the fact that both employees and employers generally have no knowlege about the health care and sanitation required for keeping that many young animals in such close quarters. I picked up a job years ago with a woman reputed to have the best pet store in town. Her holding kennels (for grooming) hadn't been cleaned in years. She had a bad habit of medicating EVERY puppy if disease broke out.

The front of the store was spotless, her fist tanks WERE the best in town as were her dealers for fish/reptiles, but from a vet tech's standpoint, she really needed some pointers. I still think it would be better to make spay/neuter mandatory unless someone pays for a breeder's license, and do it in all 50 states. Owners have a choice, but they also have incentive to speuter.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:36 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• San Fran's sure is going to extremes- I heard they wanted ban ear piercing for infants and children as well......

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 7:30 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• What next? My pets get treated better than me sometimes! They can just go to the next county and buy a dog anyway.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• That's San Fran for you, I guess.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 8:33 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I'm not sure if people just commented to look good but perhaps reading the entire article would be prudent here.

It's not talking about selling pets from reputable breeders or from shelters, but it is talking about selling them from Pet Stores. ALL pet store puppies come from Puppy Mills. ALL OF THEM!!! Google Puppy Mills....learn some stuff.
    Acid

Answer by Acid at 10:02 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Acid is right. I am avidly against pet stores for that reason.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 12:39 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Well, they have a history of being weird. I wonder if some toxic substance has taken over the city since the fire. . It might explain a lot. I guess it's just too many liberals without enough real issues to deal with, looking for a way to make the news.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 9:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2011