How old is too old to have a child in a stroller? Don't you hate it when people criticize you for having your toddler in a stroller?

My daughter will turn 3 tomorrow and her and I was just coming from Taste Of Chicago and I was pushing her in the stroller. These 2 women confronted me that my child is too old for the stroller and I told them "When my child is too big for it". Even though my lightweight stroller can carry up to 50 pounds, I'm pretty sure my daughter don't want to walk long distances, especially when she falls asleep, she only weighs 38 pounds and is too heavy for me to carry for hours. What do you think the age limit for a child to be in a stroller?

TashaStar81

Asked by TashaStar81 at 7:17 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you have to travel by foot or you have no choice about going home when the kid gets tired, I have no issue with it. I just think you're setting yourself up for later grief if you use a stroller when it's not needed.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• wow...random people came up to you and said that. i would of said mind your own business. mine is 2 and i couldn;t live with out the stroller. dude you are so right. until she is too big. my brother put his boys in stroller to get them through the airport because its easier to push them then have them walk or carry and they were like 4 and 5 or something like that. i say i will keep her in there until she is big enough to walk on her own and not run away from me. especially toddlers. next time you are confronted i would be like mind your business. noone ever confronted me about anything like that but its a heck easier to push a stroller then run after a toddler.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 7:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• i dont think theres an AGE limit.. a SIZE limit yes... my daughter will be 4 in aug. she asks to walk most of the time but she is tiny and she does still fit in the stroller.. my son is 2 and the same size as her.. so at 4 im guessin he would prob be too big.. i see parents carryin their kids in infant carseats that are WAY too big.. the kid climbs out itself and walks and talks.. thats too big to me. the kids feet were hangin out of the seat......
    Anonymous

• I have no problem with it. I think its about size and age if the child is able to walk a long distance than it should be fine but when they are still young toddlers and are small and unable to keep up or even old enough to really Understand to stay close to mom in a public place... I feel like there should be no problem pushing your child in a stroller. People love to have something to say about what they did and what you're not doing. Just tell them to Mind Their Own Business. It's not their child not their concern. To move along. Hope that helps Chica!
    staciepi

Answer by staciepi at 7:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• People have some nerve!

When they are too big for the stroller is when it is time to stop using it.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 7:24 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Those ladys had the nerve to say that to you...i woulda told them to back off, and mind their own business !!! Wow ! My 2.5 yr old still goes in a stroller.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 7:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My daughter will turn 4 in july, she still will sit in a stroller. I do not care. I will also let her walk and I do have the stroller with me. If I am shopping I know that she is in one place and know that she is safe. I also go to Six Flags with her. I also have her stroller and she knows that when we go there she has to sit at times, if not my daughter knows that we will go home.
    Anonymous

• My children are almost 5 and 2.5 and both still ride in the double stroller when we are going to be doing a lot of walking. I do let them out but I prefer to have it in case they get tired of walking, fall asleep, etc. They are too heavy for me to be carrying around for long periods of time.

As for the rude ladies who confronted you, I would have smiled sweetly and told them to mind there own damn business.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 7:36 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Those people were way out of line. Even if she was 8, it's none of their business. How did they know something isn't wrong with her?
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• my dd stopped using a stroller some months before she was 2. i sometimes wish she would use one because i'm disabled, but she likes to walk. i still bring one if we go to festivals, or the shore, where i know we will be walking around all day or something, but she barely uses it. i, personally, don't like seeing bigger kids in strollers, but that is just my own personal opinion, which i keep to myself, unless asked. i would NEVER go up to someone and tell them something like the women said to you. that's just wrong.

kyriesmommy13

Answer by kyriesmommy13 at 12:48 AM on Jun. 28, 2011