my newphew is a preemie and does not like being on his belly

when i put him down he cries so bad how long should i lay him on his belly,i know he was born early i just know know if he should be doing more things,he does not roll over my kids are 19 and 17 they like being on there bellies i have never cared for a preemie.he is 11 pounds he is 5 half months old.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:18 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• some kids dont like to be on their bellys.. my niece didnt like to be on her stomach at all so we didnt make her. she learned to crawl on her own time when she was ready. just give him time dont force him to be on his stomach if he doesnt want to be
    Anonymous

• Do you mean for playing or sleeping? For sleeping he should sleep on his back. For playing and tummy time... just give a few minutes each day and he will earn to like it more as he gets more strength. Get down on the floor with him to play and make tuumy time more fun. Also, if you want to know what things he should or shouldn't be doing go based on his due date not actual age until he is over a year.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:25 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• A few min. should be more than enough and he will learn to roll over and crawl on his own terms. Also, you have to take into account his adjusted age. My preemie is now 18 months but the doctors use his adjusted age of 16 months to assess where he is at and whether or not he's behind. Sounds like your little guy is just fine. Good luck:)
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 4:35 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I heard that a good rule of thumb is to put the baby on his/her belly at or after every diaper change for a few minutes. (It's a good way to remember how often to do it!) They generally don't like it at first, but they can cry for a few minutes. Eventually they can go longer and won't mind it as much.

Tummy time is SO important though. It can determine all sorts of developmental things...even speech believe it or not! Just make sure you're doing it.

Good luck!
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 4:55 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Use his corrected age for milestones! My DS is 5 months old, but doesnt sit up, roll over, laugh, nothing. However with his corrected age of just a month (1 month), he shouldnt be doing those things yet! To find his corrected age, just use her original due date! Good Luck!!
    mimanchibella

Answer by mimanchibella at 6:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• i only did 2-3 minutes a day with my daughter...she cried the whole time. she still learned to crawl before my son, who didn't mind tummy time. he'll be fine...don't force it on him for more than a couple minutes a day. my daughter crawled at 10 months and walked at 12 months. good luck!
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 10:41 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My preemie son doesn't like being on his belly, either. I make a point of putting him on it for 10 minutes a day, though. Not only does it help with muscle tone, but it may ease gassiness.
    AlyKen

Answer by AlyKen at 12:09 PM on Dec. 15, 2008