Rare condition...

Has anyone ever heard of asymmetrical crying face syndrome? I was told its rare something like 1 in 160 babies have it but both of my children do so how rare can it be? Its nothing serious though from what I understand.

price85

Asked by price85 at 7:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Kids' Health

• I have never heard of it. I just read about it, and it sounds serious to me.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 7:57 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I should clarify that...I guess it is serious of there are heart problems with it.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 7:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• yes definitely if there are heart problems. i was never told that my son had it i had never actually heard of it until i had my daughter. at the hospital they didnt know what it was and the day afetr she was born they did an MIR of her brain. they still never knew anything. at her 5 day checkup her doc told me about it. looking back at pics of y son when he was smaller i can tell that his lip was the same way but now you cant see anything. it is still noticeable in my daughter. i hope for no heart problems. the docs have never mentioned it again.
    price85

Comment by price85 (original poster) at 8:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I am sure that there are some genetics involved if both of your children have it. I wonder if you or your dh had it as children but there wasn't a name for it then?
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:03 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Sorry I haven't heard about it, but I'd never heard about Joubert Syndrome till my son was diagnosed with it. Good Luck! And have you tried taking your kids to a Geneticist to see if anymore light can be shed on how they got it? After my son went to his we found out that my ex and I are both carriers of Joubert, so I need to have my DD and older DS checked to see if they're carriers as well.
    Jenniy

Answer by Jenniy at 8:08 AM on Jul. 7, 2011