Umbilical Hernia

I just had a 2 week ob check today. I will be 32 weeks pregnant on Thursday, and they told me I have an umbilical hernia.

Has anyone else had this? I didn't even know I had it. Did yours hurt? Where was yours exactly? Mine is on the right hand side of my belly button.

MommyNMay

Asked by MommyNMay at 7:56 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Health

• From what I understand, it has to do with haing an outie belly button and being pregnant pushes on it. GL with that.
    cueballsmom

Answer by cueballsmom at 8:05 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My son was born with one. It made his belly button stick out really far. He just had surgery last year when he was 4 years old to push it back in and sew his navel tighter. Now you can't tell he ever had it. As far as I know it doesn't hurt, just feel a little weird being able to touch and see your intestines. My adult neighbor also had it and she didn't have the surgery until she was an adult. Again, no complaint of pain. Doc says surgery isn't necessary for life saving, but you also don't want your intestines hanging out and exposed like that either.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• My youngest was born with it. When she turned 5, she had surgery... Nearly 2 yrs later, you can't even tell she had surgery...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:25 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I had one when I was pregnant as well. Its just like other hernias in that it is a rip in your muscles and you pop out a bit. It only hurt when you push on it hard. I had surgery to correct it after the baby was born. Very simple quick outpatient surgery.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 8:35 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• yes, i got an umbilical hernia during my second pregnancy and then i got pregnant with the third one before it healed up. It does hurt me especially if i lift something heavy, etc. an interesting fact for my family is that my husband had to get his repaired when he was about 3 or 4 yo. all of my children were born with one. the boys closed up after 3 years, but i think my daughter will have to have surgery to close hers up since it was very large and hasn't closed up so far (and she will be 2 in sept.). i will eventually have to get my hernia surgically closed, but i am putting it off lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Both of my kids have them. My son's is healing up on its own (he's 8), but we'll probably have to get surgery for my daughter's. They aren't bothered by the hernias, and the doctors are very reluctant to even do the surgery. Good luck w/ yours!
    MKBoyle

Answer by MKBoyle at 5:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2011