GIFTED CHILD?

i do a lot of reaserch and i am the kind of parent that wants to get to the bottom of things and I also want to help my kids reach thier individual potintial. do any of you have a gifted child. my 3 1/2 year old does have a lot of qualities as a gifted child and i also know that gifted can also mean learning disabled and gifted children are special needs. she also gets very emotional (no matter how much sleep she gets) she has friends but alot of times she wants to do her own thing. again, i dont want her to be "normal" and me worry nor do i want to just "let it go"

ADVICE PLEASE!!!!!

VDietrich

Asked by VDietrich at 8:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in General Parenting

• Gifted children can be very emotional. You are right to be concerned about that. Do not believe in the ADHD label - gifted children are easily bored, but medicating them is not the answer. If you talk with her doctor about her emotions, he'll probably shrug and say that it is "normal". That's sort of the stock answer from medical professionals when it comes to kids. Your child has to be really bizarre before you get a sincere response. But you can contact your public school system and talk to them about your concerns. They may have a school therapist evaluate your child, and point you in the direction of help. In the mean time, teach your child about emotions. Help her learn the words for them, and identify them when she is feeling them. Help her learn that it is FINE to be angry. It is normal, but hitting when we're angry is not fine. Or whatever the issues are that she's dealing with. But do pursue this, (Continued)
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:55 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• well i was a 'gifted child' and i definitely do not fall into any kind of 'special needs' category so i disagree with you on that. i was in the gifted and talented program in school and did a lot of research on things that interested me on my own. my parents didn't do anything really except take me to the library and i took out books on subjects that interested me. we also went to places (museums, parks, etc.) that supported my interest of the moment. it's good to make learning fun and not to pressure anything....if the kid is gifted or 'normal'.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I'm not sure I understand the question... can you be more specific?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• well in the school districts i have attended and taught in the gifted and talented programs are integrated into the regular programs so that is not a given, it will vary with the school.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:32 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• princessbeth79 we constantly are going to the library and reading and going other places to help expand her mind. i dont push anything on her she does this all her own. my brother is gifted and all i ment about special needs is that SO gifted children have to be in special classes so they are not bored in school. some gifted ppl are different than others.
    VDietrich

Comment by VDietrich (original poster) at 8:28 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• But_Mommie i guess the question im trying to ask, can a gifted child can be VERY emotional and act in a way that some may think is sensory disorder or ADHD? she isnt hyper active but is VERY emotioal and excitable. SO any advice
    VDietrich

Comment by VDietrich (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• thanks princessbeth79
    VDietrich

Comment by VDietrich (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I think gifted is over rated by far. Each child has unique gifts to offer if given the chance. Truly gifted children, children closer to college than puberty, are far and few between. Very rare. I have worked with kids who have a 160 IQ and those who are less than average. What matters most is the joy and interest a parent takes in each specific child. It has been suggested by my son's professional team, his therapist, OT, speech, doctors, genetisist, and pyschologist....that he is "gifted.". I do not agree with labling him or for further evaluation. It means we continue to meet his specfic needs where he is at. And yes, he has special needs. But truly you would never guess that in a million years. And as part of his disorder he can be a bit more emotional. We don't do anything more or less than other parents. My concern is for his well being. Never once to friends do I even say gifted.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• because many gifted children do have problems socially, emotionally, and sometimes even physically. To be happy as adults, we need to develop all areas of our lives, not just our intellect. My aunt was gifted. She was writing poetry when she was three years old. She committed suicide as an adult. Her two sons were also gifted. One died of Aids, and the other is a miserable pedophile. My son was labeled gifted in school, but he learned that gifted children are just given more work to do while the classroom kids have a party, so he started being lazy about his homework. If you read about truly exceptional people, many of them lead miserable lives. I think it may be due to the fact that while they had brilliant minds, they were socially immature. They didn't have friends, or take care of their health. Help your child in these other areas, too, and she may grow into a beautiful soul. I'd strongly recommend Susuki violin for her.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:59 PM on Jun. 27, 2011