What are some healthy dinner menu ideas?

Looking to try to get healthier.. and want some healthier side dish ideas.. I'm not much of a cook, and canned or froozen veggies aren't very tasty so I'd like fresh ideas for side dishes I can make on my own (you know, that actually TASTE yummy and fresh, but are healthy, lol).

PLEASE: make it a dish that either omits onions, or can have onions omitted.. and something either light on garlic, or omits garlic entirely (sorry, allergic).

xxhazeldovexx

Asked by xxhazeldovexx at 8:21 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I really like couscous, and so does my son. I just buy the boxes with the seasoning and it's really easy to make. Another thing I do that is buy an assortment of fresh veggies (zucchini, mushrooms,yellow peppers, sugar snap peas, beets, tomatoes,etc), toss them in olive oil or Italian dressing, wrap them in aluminum foil, and then bake them for about 20-30 minutes at about 375. Not only is it easy and delicious, but there is SUCH a variety of nutrients in them. Another great side dish is rice, as long as it isn't white. I'd go for brown rice or even better, black rice. You could also make mashed whole or mashed sweet potatoes. Sweet potato fries are also great, and fairly easy to make. You can just google them and there are tons of recipes.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Sorry about the few typos in there, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:38 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• I like to make rice pilaf. It's very easy, you just cut up spaghetti and fry it a few minutes until it is golden brown, add rice and cook until just about all the water is absorbed (you can also use chicken stock, but I don't like how salty it makes it). Rice is 2 cups water for 1 cup rice, so very easy measuring. When there is about a half a cup of water left you can add some frozen veggies, or I like fresh zucchini or summer squash. Very tasty, and very healthy :)
    alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 8:45 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• How about turkey burgers or different types of salads since it's summertime!
    tspillane

Answer by tspillane at 8:43 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• skinnytaste.com has weight watchers recipes. even if you're not on the plan, they are still healthy recipes to make for the whole family
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 3:15 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• Wraps are an easy, healthy, and fun dinner! All you have to do is chop up some options (lettuce, olives, carrots, celery, etc.) and set them on the table. Maybe cut up some chicken from out of those rotisserie chickens you can get at the grocery store. Put out an assortment of dressings too as well as some tortillas, and dinner is done! Everyone gets to choose what and how much to put in their wrap. It's like an activity and dinner in one.

For added healthiness, use tzatziki instead of dressing, or make your own dressing from a greek yogurt base.
    cypressandsage

Answer by cypressandsage at 9:29 AM on Jun. 28, 2011

• oh, and PLEASE, recipes are great..... lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 8:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• lovingsahmommy: I love the idea with the sweet potatoes.. and I always forget about rice, lol..
    I'll have to try those too.. they'd be a great healthier options to regular potatoes as a side..

tspillane: I'm not a fan of turkey burgers.. and we rarely eat burgers anyways... but summer salad recipes would be great.. I'm honestly I horrible cook and have NO idea how to make half of them....

alphamom26.. i'll have to try that.. I do agree though, chicken stock can sometimes be a little too salty so I'll stick to the water..
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• A good caprese salad is really easy to make and very yummy and goes with most any italian meal or grilled meat. Get the freshest, best smelling tomatoes you can find. Slice them about 1/4" thick. Get some fresh mozzarella (the kind that looks like a ball of mozzarella) and slice it the same thickness as the tomatoes (or get the little marinated balls of mozzarella that are already bite sized). Lay the sliced tomatoes alternating with the mozzarella in rows on a platter. Chop some fresh basil leaves and scatter over the tomatoes and mozzarella. Drizzle on a little bit of balsamic vinagrette and sprinkle a tiny bit of kosher or sea salt on top. Chill until you are ready to eat it. SO yummy.

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:22 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• lol aprildjc.. is there something I could sub with raw tomatoes?? that's one thing I never could eat raw since I was a kid..
    xxhazeldovexx

Comment by xxhazeldovexx (original poster) at 10:26 PM on Jun. 27, 2011