Would you let your 4 yr old go to the park with a ten yr old and no adults?

So my oldest son who is 4 is visting his dad for the summer. His dad lives 6 hours away so its not like I can just go over there if something goes wrong. Im not going to get in the whole story between me and my childs cuz it is a long and complicated but to make a long story short we do not get along, but he is a good father and my boys adore him. So anyways I called to talk to my son and his dad said hes not here. I asked where he was and he said “hes at the park with Cita” Cita is his ten year old cousin! I will admit I FLIPPED OUT! He let my 4 yr old son go to the park alone with no adults! He said the park is right across the street and he can c it out his window but to me that doesnt matter cuz it only take one second for something to happen to a child -MY CHILD for that matter. So i told him how I felt and we ended up getting into a huge arguement that just led to all kind of other subjects. So Im asking for input- was I wrong to flip out?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 9:07 PM on Jun. 27, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No. I would have done exactly what you did.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:08 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• well, i would if they were both responsable....the park is right behind my house and i could watch them anyway. but i think maybe you freaked out because you don't trust the cousin and you don't know the area very well.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:09 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• 4 and 10? No. Not a chance. Now, in a few years - 6 and 12? Maybe...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:09 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• That is a hard call; I was babysitting all sorts of kids of various ages at 10. Is the cousin responsible? Across the street can mean different things; is it like walking to a neighbors house? Or going across a city street?
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• It would depend on a lot of things...
    If the park was close, in a good area/neighborhood and the 10 year old was responsible.... then sure.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 9:10 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• It's not my kid. I personally wouldn't have flipped out unless you know for a fact the cousin isn't responsible enough to go across the street to the park to play. I was and am strict with my kids/grandkids...but I'm not a helicopter parent either. You have to live with what works for you.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:11 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• i think 4 and 10 are too young. Unless he could see the kids, not just the park, i wouldnt be ok with it. if he could see the kids the whole time, maybe.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 9:13 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• In this day and ge no. But back in my day I used to go by myself all the time. I think I was really little but even back then I had street smarts and ignored anyone that asked me to go in their car. My father was a cop and I can remember from age 4 being told never ever talk to strangers or ever get into a car with one.........
    geminilove7717

Answer by geminilove7717 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• Depends on the 10 year old. I know a few who are extremely mature and then some others who aren't responsible at all.  Not much you can do about situations like that ( believe me, I know).  My advice would be to pick your battles and anything you want your ex to do (or not do) try to make it seem like it's his idea and he's in control of the situation.

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:14 PM on Jun. 27, 2011

• not in this life! or any other for that matter!
    Eco_Momma

Answer by Eco_Momma at 9:18 PM on Jun. 27, 2011