help my twin boyz don't listen to me when i tell them not to do something or tell them no don't touch they laugh at me they think i'm funny how can i get them to listen please help and when is the right age to start potty training

michelle11206

Asked by michelle11206 at 4:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• as for potty training I believe in child led potty training. My oldest boy potty trained at 3 1/2yrs and my youngest boy potty trained at 21mo. All I do is support the process when they decide to do it. Also we read picture books together about potty time
    Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 4:55 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• You spank them or put them in time out or use whatever punishment you choose and you stick with it. As for potty training, they will let you know when they are ready....
    RenaeMom3277

Answer by RenaeMom3277 at 5:33 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• My daughter didn't listen to no either so we started time out and that seems to work pretty good...if not try taking their favorite toy away.
    Potty training is different for every child. for my daughter we started by just putting her on the potty and clapping so she thought it was fun, and eventually she just started to use it. When you feel like it is a good time to start, then just do it. It doesnt hurt to just set them on there and see how they feel
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 7:59 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• Consistency is key. If there is something you don't want them touching and you can't put it away or out of their reach you need to physically step in. Take their hand off of whatever it is they're touching and say "no, don't touch". If you do this every time, they'll get the message. Distraction and redirection are still your best friends here so remove them from the area and distract them with a toy or some activity.

I have a group Potty training for Multiples. Feel free to apply.
    I agree with previous posters: your twins will let you know when they're ready to train. Signs to watch for are: staying dry longer, waking up dry, telling you when they need a diaper change, going to a private spot to have a bm, and having a bm at roughly the same time every day.
    Someone also once said "you can start training at age 2 and they'll be trained by age 3 or you can wait till age 3 and they'll be trained at 3".
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:26 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• I potty trained when they were dry overnight. For both it was a little after 3 years. We spent a weekend on it- every half hour I took them to the bathroom. The first day I washed 5 pairs of training pants. The next day two pairs. After that they had it figured out. For getting their attention don't make threats that you don't intend to carryout. Insist on being obeyed the first time, the consequence can be whatever you choose, time out in a chair, or a mild spank. Probably the consequence needs to be immediate and not delayed. To say no dessert at dinner tonight separates the consequence from the infraction too far.

Answer by Bmat at 8:51 PM on Dec. 14, 2008

• if they keep it up and laugh and smile when you say no, bend them over your knees and bust their asses. i know it sounds horrible, my 15 month old is the same way and i never had the heart to tell him no and now he is a terror. so after i tell him no and he continues to do it repeatedly and laughs at me, i bend him over my lap, rip his pants and diaper down and give him a couple of hard smacks and he doesn't do it again.
    Anonymous